February 26, 2020, 04:37:27 PM

Author Topic: Just started 4 day program max??  (Read 3020 times)

weakpuller

• View Profile
Just started 4 day program max??
« on: April 05, 2016, 05:34:52 AM »
Hey,

I am new to Sheiko and this program and I have a question about my program.
I just finished the Advanced medium load cycle 1 and wondering if there was any number change or performance tests that I should do before the Advanced medium load 2 phase?

Thanks so far I am loving this stuff!

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Just started 4 day program max??
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 08:40:58 AM »
Nope, just keep going. The skills test days will show up in cycle just like another scheduled workout.

hammertime

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 05:10:38 PM »
In app you test your maxes for 4 day Advanced medium load in Prep Cycle 3 week 2, which is 2 months after starting the program.  And then you test your maxes again as part of completion or self imposed test. another 2 months

So in a way progression is setup on 2 month basis.

I think people are confused because other programs require monthly progression or weekly so people expect that from Sheiko which is not the case.

Also, I have seen people recommend to up your maxes after every Sheiko cycle with out testing (increasing by 5lb). I guess that can be called auto regulated aspect for someone, but it ads another level of confusion for people who are running program for the first time. 

3. In addition, I have seen people suggesting to exaggerate your maxes when starting the program.

All those things together add confusion for people who are starting on Sheiko.

Robert Frederick, can you confirm that my assessment is correct.

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 06:34:06 PM »
In app you test your maxes for 4 day Advanced medium load in Prep Cycle 3 week 2, which is 2 months after starting the program.  And then you test your maxes again as part of completion or self imposed test. another 2 months

So in a way progression is setup on 2 month basis.

I think people are confused because other programs require monthly progression or weekly so people expect that from Sheiko which is not the case.

Also, I have seen people recommend to up your maxes after every Sheiko cycle with out testing (increasing by 5lb). I guess that can be called auto regulated aspect for someone, but it ads another level of confusion for people who are running program for the first time. 

3. In addition, I have seen people suggesting to exaggerate your maxes when starting the program.

All those things together add confusion for people who are starting on Sheiko.

Robert Frederick, can you confirm that my assessment is correct.

All three points are people trying to solve problems they run into.

1) People expect faster progression because that's probably what they are used to. And if they are used to faster progression they are probably still in the early stages of training. Sheiko's percentage based programs run on the assumption that you have reached the point where your maxes are stable. His beginner programs don't assign weights at all and just tell you to figure out how much weight you're going to use on a daily basis.

2) This is pretty much the same as above. One additional point to make about it is that sometimes people find their technique improves significantly after starting a Sheiko program. That's probably going to translate into more efficient lifts. In that case, it's perfectly reasonable to add a bit of weight here and there as needed.

3) In this case you've got people who most likely have stable maxes AND stable form during their lifts. People in this situation find higher intensity works for them and that's understandable.

So people try and change the programs so they work for them. Makes sense. At the same time it's easy to imagine things going wrong with that process too. Someone just decides they need to up their intensity. But maybe things were feeling easy because it was a programmed recovery. Remember that you have to have contrast with light, medium and heavy days. Instead of recovering they intensified. Now there are no more light days. Boom! Injury.

Sometimes it's nice to have a coach. You can just leave all this stuff for them to worry about and think only about lifting.

hammertime

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 06:45:57 PM »
Great answer.  Really puts it all into proper perspective. 

Button line be smart, ask questions and figure out what works for you.