October 19, 2019, 04:46:01 PM

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on RPE training?  (Read 4242 times)

Pimptasty

• View Profile
What are your thoughts on RPE training?
« on: September 28, 2015, 05:30:57 PM »
Recently been reading about Mike Tuscherer's RTS, and it has interested me greatly. Not the intermediate program itself, but the underlying principles behind RPE training itself. Autoregulating intensity and volume.

While I'm not saying you could get it exactly like Sheiko, I feel like you could, at the very least, try to maintain the 68-72 RI. At higher reps, of course, due to the RPE factor making it hard to be at an RPE lower than about 7, but 68-72 nonetheless.

Instead of prescribing sets, use fatigue percentages to try to match a Sheiko-style programming method. As said above, keep the daily RI the same. But have the volume and RI autoregulated.

The three autoregulation methods I know of are: load dropping, rep dropping, and repeats. Any more?

Anyone ever think of trying something like this?

Liftisgood

Re: What are your thoughts on RPE training?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:22:09 PM »
It's been mentioned here on a few occasions, also if you check his website Mike T made a program for RTS with Sheiko-esque training.

Pimptasty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 02:06:31 AM »
The Intermediate Program? Ehh, not one for paying for programming, honestly.

Liftisgood

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 03:20:58 AM »
The Intermediate Program? Ehh, not one for paying for programming, honestly.

No, if you google for Sheiko RTS there is a free program that he has written which combines exactly those two things.

thenextblaha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 04:04:59 PM »
I saw Mike's post and how he said in the comments that using 'repeats' would be a better way of keeping with a more sheiko style program. I.e. do triples until RPE 8 then (for 5% fatigue) carry on until RPE 9 is reached.

It seems like in his example of #37, the corresponding %ages would be too high, for instance day 1 squat 5 reps @8 is 81% on the chart, doing this with 5% fatigue for repeats means going until RPE 10. I would have thought doing an initial of closer to RPE 7 would be better and more in line with the 70% Sheiko suggests.

What are your thoughts?

Liftisgood

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 11:54:13 PM »
I agree, I think it's best to ask Mike though as it was a routine that he wrote.

thenextblaha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 03:14:58 PM »
I agree, I think it's best to ask Mike though as it was a routine that he wrote.

Looking back on this, it's a cool idea in theory, using two contrasting philosophies together, however for that reason it is probably sub optimal. Why try and have a little of both worlds when you could pick one and do it as written and many many people have made progress doing. Elements of each can be drawn to one another, like hitting accessories on sheiko to an RPE 8 for example, or focusing on lower RPEs in RTS for volume cycles to get a lot of practice in, but mixing them completely is probably not wise :)

Liftisgood

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 11:41:15 PM »
I would say mixing RTS with Sheiko, the risk of overdoing things and injury becomes very high, I know I would push it hard for a the first month, and as fatigue sets in I can see myself getting into a bad situation.