November 15, 2019, 08:57:18 AM

Author Topic: The conventional deadlift: how to pull and how not to pull.  (Read 4088 times)

Boris Sheiko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
http://sheiko-program.ru/the-conventional-deadlift-how-to-pull-and-how-not-to-pull
One of my students – Stephen Pritchard (Australia) sent me this video of his deadlift.

I used his video for creating this short little article titled “The conventional deadlift: how to pull and how not to pull”.

Every lifter has to remember that he should learn a lot about powerlifting  and seek to continually improve technique for the duration of  life…

You can find my comments and original video below.

Also have a look at Brad Gillingham’s deadlift.

Frame 1. Start position. The hips are too low and the head is down making this a bad position to start from. It is very difficult to take the barbell off the platform.

Frame 2. Stephen moves the hips higher in order to take the barbell off of the platform and it begins to rise. The position of the hips in frame 1 should be the same as seen here.

Frame 3. The barbell is 3-5 cm above the platform and Stephen’s legs are straightening with the back muscles in a static position. The back muscles are just holding the barbell and the back is rounding because of a very huge load.

Frame 4. The back muscles are still in a static position while the legs straighten more and more. The hips are moving higher but the back is more rounded than before.

Frames 5 & 6. We can see that the legs are almost straight but the back muscles haven’t started working. Stephen looks like a crane with a long boom.

Frame 7. The barbell is at the knees and legs are nearly straight. Just now we start to see the back’s work. The back muscles are getting an enormous load.

Frame 8. Final phase. Stephen’s legs are a bit bent in the knees and the hips are a bit behind. Stephen didn’t lockout 100%. He wouldn’t get a judge’s command “down”. Summary: These frames (1-8) show us that the largest muscles of the back and legs work separately.

Here is a video of this deadlift.

Here is a good example how to do it right.