July 02, 2020, 10:01:51 PM

Author Topic: Which cycle to run next on the app?  (Read 6840 times)

adamsz

• View Profile
Which cycle to run next on the app?
« on: January 19, 2015, 07:01:08 PM »
Hello-

I have just completed the Intermediate small load prep cycle I, and small load prep cycle II on the sheiko app. I am trying to figure out what cycle to run next.

I am a raw, drug-free lifter, and don't plan on competing until probably next December.

Considering I don't have a competition planned for quite some time, should I skip the Small load comp cycle and  continue onto the medium load prep cycle I? Before Sheiko came out with the website and the app there was some debate online regarding stacking prep cycles without a comp cycle, and that it was generally acceptable to do so. For example I have done 29, 37, 31 (followed by 32) as well as 29, 37, 31, and 40 in the past.

Thank you in advance for the for the replies, and my apologies if this topic has been posted before.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:18:18 PM by adamsz »
Best Gym Lifts
Squat: 184kg / 405lbs (knee sleeves)
Bench Press: 170.45kg / 375lbs
Deadlift: 259kg / 570lbs

Best Competition Results
Squat: 182.5kg / 402lbs (knee sleeves)
Bench Press: 172.73kg / 380lbs
Deadlift: 265.9kg / 585lbs

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Which cycle to run next on the app?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 11:48:25 AM »
If you are going to adjust the weight by feel as you go you can run multiple prep cycles back to back. If you run the comp cycle you get to use step loading though instead of gradual loading. I personally think step loading is more effective than gradual loading because you shift all the weight increase to the beginning of the cycle. Then you get used to in after a bit, recover, max, then start over. With gradual loading you get the stimulus broken up into smaller, repetitive chunks. Given that the body desensitizes to a stimulus I think you get more out of the periodic large stimulus than more frequent smaller ones. 

adamsz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 02:20:36 PM »
Thank you for the reply Robert.

So to clarify on this - if you were doing step loading, would you leave the maxes the same through the 3 cycles (in this case, smallload  prep I, small load prep II, and Small load comp cycle) - then after the comp cycle, enter a new max? Then for example run medium load prep I, medium load prep II, and then medium load comp cycle, all while using the same maxes?

In week 2 of small load prep cycle II you work up to 104% on squat, bench press, and deadlift. I hit a 5lb PR on benchpress and a 25lb PR on deadlift during that day (I did not squat, as I am dealing with a chronic groin injury). So if I want to do the step loading approach, would I not enter these new maxes into the "set new maxes" in the info section?

Just want to make sure I am understanding everything correctly before moving forward. Thank you!
Best Gym Lifts

Best Competition Results

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
I can't remember the specifics of the program but if there is a test day and you get new maxes, use those going forward. Same goes for the end of the comp cycle. So you could have two steps up in weight over the course of the program.

Each program usually has a test day but the length of time you have to wait until the test varies from program to program. Typically the length of time increases with training experience.

adamsz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 04:17:26 PM »
I can't remember the specifics of the program but if there is a test day and you get new maxes, use those going forward. Same goes for the end of the comp cycle. So you could have two steps up in weight over the course of the program.

Each program usually has a test day but the length of time you have to wait until the test varies from program to program. Typically the length of time increases with training experience.

So you are saying to do this in the step loading?

I'm not exactly sure how this would be different than the gradual loading then. Would gradual loading just be updating your max whenever you're feeling stronger, without actually having performed that max yet?
Best Gym Lifts

Best Competition Results

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 03:17:46 PM »
Here are two options for distributing 10kg over 2 months:

1) Add 2.5kg every 2 weeks.
2) Add it all at the end in one lump.

The first, incremental loading process I call gradual here and the second is the step loading. In practice people that use gradual loading often just add it when they feel like it. That usually winds up falling on a good day. Then later on it might be too much and so weight comes off. This yo-yoing around has a nice sounding alternative name -> auto-regulation.

So in reality case #1 might look like:

1) Add 2.5kg, -2.5kg, -2.5kg, +5kg, -2.5kg and so on.

One little thing to mention is that Boris says if you have more than 10kg to add after your tests/maxes that you should divide that up into 10kg lumps and add monthly so that your step up isn't too large.

adamsz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 07:09:17 PM »
That makes perfect sense. Thank you for taking the time to break it down for me.
Best Gym Lifts

Best Competition Results