December 16, 2019, 04:58:56 AM

Author Topic: Incline Bench on App  (Read 4947 times)

Cgrez33

• View Profile
Incline Bench on App
« on: December 04, 2014, 03:43:22 AM »
Today the app has me doing Incline Bench 245x6x4. The heaviest benching weight I've done in the program was Flat Bench 245x5x3.

I'm curious as to wether it actually wants me to bench a higher incline than my regular flat for more reps. My 1RM is set at 245

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Incline Bench on App
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 07:29:44 AM »
Your 1RM is set to 245 but you've already done Flat Bench 245x5x3?

For the incline you can set that to a number that works for you. Boris doesn't actually use percents for the incline bench so the app is just guessing. It will remember what you go with next time though.

FreakGoHome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 12:48:30 PM »
I was wondering the same thing. It seemed odd to me that the percentages prescribed for the incline bench were so high. Another odd example I have found while perusing the programs in the app is dumbbell bench pressing prescribed with "70%" which I was confused by.

If the app is "just guessing" the percentages on incline bench, what other exercises is it also doing this for? By the looks of it my dumbbell bench press example above is one such case. Are there others we should be aware of? For example "Deadlift (Below the Knee Off Blocks)" is just as much a variation of the deadlift as "Incline Bench Press" is to the bench press, but unlike the latter I trust that the percentages have been prescribed intentionally by Boris.

A question along similar lines; when I go into the settings for a single day's training session I see that the accessory movements, even things like hyperextensions and dips have percentages programmed by when looking at the standard interface for that individual session there aren't weights listed. Where are these percentages behind the scenes coming from? Even if they don't effect the output values (all such accessories have their weight listed as zero) why are they there? 

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:37:35 PM »
I had the app set up so that you could set 1RM's for any exercise. But Boris didn't like it since he doesn't work that way. So I took it out and now these exercises have percents. I think I can get it back in the app though pretty soon since it a popular request.

As it is now, any exercise in the spreadsheets with a percent will show up correctly in the app. Anything else will show up as either zero or a guess the first time you encounter it. After setting it though, during the workout as Boris prefers, the weights you use will be remembered. When the exercise gets too easy you can increase the weight, also as Boris suggests.

I can see how this could be confusing the first time you see it. I'll polish that part up a little bit. Thanks guys for pointing it out.

Shawn_M

• View Profile
    • twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 03:50:54 AM »
I also saw the really high incline press weight; I scaled it back to my old incline 1RM and did the sets of 3 it wanted.

... I guess that's why I saw also Leg Press 90lbs, compared to spreadsheets that suggest something more like 90%xSquat. I just threw on some plates and did them slow & full ROM for stretch. Will adjust next time they come up!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:38:35 PM by Shawn_M »
4 years training, 1300@190
TSR

Sonny780

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 11:39:08 PM »
I think I "get" what you're saying in relation to the percentages, but I agree entirely with previous postings that whatever formula went into the incline press calculations for actual pounds to be used is way too high. I've done previous Sheiko before, and never experienced (or ever previously pressed!) that much weight for an incline! Otherwise, it's coming along nicely as an app!

My .02 cents.

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 03:41:47 AM »
I think I "get" what you're saying in relation to the percentages, but I agree entirely with previous postings that whatever formula went into the incline press calculations for actual pounds to be used is way too high. I've done previous Sheiko before, and never experienced (or ever previously pressed!) that much weight for an incline! Otherwise, it's coming along nicely as an app!

My .02 cents.

The next update, which will be out soon, let's you set 1RMs and percentages for any lift. That will help.