July 03, 2020, 01:14:37 AM

Author Topic: Squat bar path  (Read 4471 times)

IkonTheHologram

• View Profile
Squat bar path
« on: October 14, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »
Am I correct in thinking that the squat bar path should be vertical? My friend was watching me today and commented on the bar drifting foward as I descend, now I'm thinking this could be a lack of upper back tightness or I need to get my knees out more so I can stay a bit more upright, would the wall facing squats help with this issue? I struggle to get past halfway down when trying this! Thanks for any help in advance guys!

DRY

• View Profile
Re: Squat bar path
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 04:16:17 AM »
Sheiko himself, as well as many others have scientific results suggesting that the bench bar path should not be vertical.

There have also been studies to show that the conventional deadlift bar will drift forward then backward, and sumo will slowly drift forward near lockout.

To my knowledge there has been nothing done regarding this in the squat, but my gut would say vertical is best.  Leaning forward is usually from fear of the weight or lack of upper back integrity

BuccioniPL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 01:23:55 PM »

More than being vertical, the past should be the same on eccentric and concentric movements.
There is an italian friend of mine, who wrote a 700 pages book of biomechanics, and he also built a system to monitor barbell trajectories showing all these things.

Anyway, if you lean forward , don't do it )))
"Hard in the training, easy in the battle"

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »
If you start to drift forward only near the bottom of the lift there is a simple corrective exercise for that.  Squat all the way down then come back up only about a quarter of the way up then go back down again for the next rep. You can do these as part of your normal warmup to the working set weight.

DRY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 05:08:29 PM »

More than being vertical, the past should be the same on eccentric and concentric movements.
There is an italian friend of mine, who wrote a 700 pages book of biomechanics, and he also built a system to monitor barbell trajectories showing all these things.

Is there an english version?  Is his book on lifting biomechanics?  I'm a biomechanist (I don't work with athletes) who would like to read it

Maurizio

• Class 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 11:30:16 PM »

Is there an english version?  Is his book on lifting biomechanics?  I'm a biomechanist (I don't work with athletes) who would like to read it

for now no english version, yes... great biomechanics lifting book:

http://www.amazon.it/DCSS-Power-mechanics-power-lifters/dp/8895782488/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414178726&sr=8-1&keywords=dcss