December 09, 2019, 02:47:08 AM

Author Topic: Bench press  (Read 3527 times)

Alex Powell

• View Profile
Bench press
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:01:42 AM »
This was working off a 120kg bench max. The program called for 3 singles with 90% so I filmed them. The first one was really easy so then I did 2x2 for the next two sets and upped my bench max to 125kg. Friday called for 5x2 at the same weight (when the max was increased 5kg) and this again didn't feel too difficult. Here are the videos I'd appreciate any tips.

Also one thing you can't see in the video, my right foot is more externally rotated than the left and when I use my leg/hip drive my right foot will come up off the floor more than the left and I drive slightly harder with it. Not sure what to do about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2DlAgiMulU
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:59:37 AM by Robert Frederick »

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bench press
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:02:32 AM »
You've got a long range of motion. Shortening that would probably help.

Alex Powell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 06:17:29 AM »
Any other information apart from making my arms shorter?

JJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 09:22:19 AM »
Try getting a better/higher arch , easier said than done as I also have long limbs.

A wider grip will help , again my grip is just is pinkies just inside the rings so not wide either but I feel stronger there , I know how you feel mate its frustrating.

I try to do incoperate wide grip into routine and strengthen chest.

Bench Polkov

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Benchalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:05:23 AM »
In Alex's case he is probably better off with the grip he has as he is very tricep strong. IMO a wider grip is not always the best response to a large ROM as you get more power from the triceps than the pecs with a closer grip and tricep power is what is required to finish off such a large ROM.