November 18, 2019, 01:56:01 PM

Author Topic: Moving to Sumo  (Read 3916 times)

AGRAM

• View Profile
Moving to Sumo
« on: August 01, 2014, 08:29:55 AM »
Hey, I know 'Conventional or Sumo???' is not the kind of question the King wants to answer, but it's a subject I would like some clarification on.

I'm switching to Sumo because I cannot pull conventional without my back rounding horribly. It's not a mobility issue because I can get down into the ideal position from a Romanian Deadlift, and even with Straight legs. So my GUESS is that it's more of a posterior chain weakness, I'm EXTREMELY quad dominant after a few years of weightlifting, when pulling conventional I can feel my quads being the primary leg movers from the ground, so much so that the following days I quite often get bruises at the quads above my knees, not nice!. I've spent about 2 months now, trying to wrestle conventional into working, but it won't budge. I can just about manage 160kg with  a neutral spine, but on the second rep my erectors won't straighten out again.

Here's some very UGLY deadlifting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iZA6MgSACg

People have told me that 'a rounded back is ok if that works for you', but the part I hate the most is how inconsistent each rep feels. I feel like it's down to 50% strength and 50% aggression. I want it to be more like 90% something I can actually rely on being solid, and then that last 10% being mentally ready.

Here is last night, the first time I tried Sumo for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYEI8sZrxQg

Not perfect but I haven't really spent much time analysing correct technique, but it looks a whole lot nicer/more solid than those round back conventional deadlifts, no?

For reference my max Conventional is 220kg with about a month of training, a few months prior I pulled 190kg fairly easily with Sumo, with no real training.

Any thoughts, comments, anything?

Cheers!

EN85

• View Profile
Re: Moving to Sumo
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »
I'm not a great conventional lifter either, but i do think im seeing a problem there. It looks like you arent even trying to get into a good position and keep your chest up. It looks like the only thing your focussing on is getting the bar as fast as possible to lockout. Espcially on the variant dl to the knees this seems utterly pointless to me. The dl to knees is to correct setup position and allows you to pull slow to the knees (due to the low weights), pause it there and lower it again.

AGRAM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 02:59:47 PM »
Before, maybe a week or two, I was getting into a decent position, then losing the position, then the bar came off the ground. So I was told that if I was going to shift to that position before breaking the floor, then I should just start from that position and hold it, so I wasn't flexing under load.

curltonbench

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:51:57 PM »
lol based olyslob...your sumo technique looks solid man
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:13:47 PM by curltonbench »