December 16, 2019, 07:23:22 AM

Author Topic: Taper for intermediates  (Read 6393 times)

DocWallaby

• View Profile
Taper for intermediates
« on: July 02, 2014, 04:12:47 PM »
I ran the four day universal appropriate previously and had meet results of 1085lbs at 194lbs bw.  My feeling was that the taper was a little long for someone at my level.  Note the last two weeks are fairly similar to the revised three day programs.  Can anyone comment on whether I should stick to this as written or instead on week 3 (assuming meet is end of week 4). Run a medium, small, medium, rest pattern as described in the daily loading part two section of this forum.  I really feel that I under performed vs the easy 100% lifts on the skills assessment week and that I would have benefited from more lifts the week prior to the meet.  I am proposing 50 lifts, 25 lifts and 50 lifts as sufficient volume. 

Please can the more experienced folks give me their opinions.

BuccioniPL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Taper for intermediates
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »
I ran the four day universal appropriate previously and had meet results of 1085lbs at 194lbs bw.  My feeling was that the taper was a little long for someone at my level.  Note the last two weeks are fairly similar to the revised three day programs.  Can anyone comment on whether I should stick to this as written or instead on week 3 (assuming meet is end of week 4). Run a medium, small, medium, rest pattern as described in the daily loading part two section of this forum.  I really feel that I under performed vs the easy 100% lifts on the skills assessment week and that I would have benefited from more lifts the week prior to the meet.  I am proposing 50 lifts, 25 lifts and 50 lifts as sufficient volume. 

Ehil there!

Tapering is basically the same in most of Sheiko protocols. It does change just a bit given certain conditions.
But it basically works very well.

If you worked well sticking on the plan, stay on it and don't care about some anything. The competition can be different than expected for many reasons. Try also to make  a self assessment in terms of some cold catched,
a night with bad sleep and so on.

Furthermore:
I'd say that, more than changing the taper, it's batter changing a bit the preparatory period, when corrections can be done smoothly. Things happen as a result of a long timework, not only in days.
You probably did not work hard enough and this is the main reason of your feeling.

Changing the taper can be just a repair procedure. But changing the preparatory period will be a wise
and proactive thing.

"Hard in the training, easy in the battle"

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 05:26:04 PM »

Which table are you referring to in the daily loading thread?

DocWallaby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 07:09:52 PM »
I am referring to the table where you have the contest prep loadings as high medium and small for four weeks out.

DocWallaby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 07:10:53 PM »
Table 9.

DocWallaby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 07:25:11 PM »
Also, I forgot to mention, I missed two workouts the week prior to the week of the meet due to work travel and I'm fairly sure that hit me badly.

DocWallaby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 07:32:09 PM »

Ehil there!

Tapering is basically the same in most of Sheiko protocols. It does change just a bit given certain conditions.
But it basically works very well.

If you worked well sticking on the plan, stay on it and don't care about some anything. The competition can be different than expected for many reasons. Try also to make  a self assessment in terms of some cold catched,
a night with bad sleep and so on.

Furthermore:
I'd say that, more than changing the taper, it's batter changing a bit the preparatory period, when corrections can be done smoothly. Things happen as a result of a long timework, not only in days.
You probably did not work hard enough and this is the main reason of your feeling.

Changing the taper can be just a repair procedure. But changing the preparatory period will be a wise
and proactive thing.

I have added a little volume to the standard four day universal appropriate as per the instructions on this forum.  Not a huge amount, but enough where I feel from previously running it I can add.  Thank you for this advice. 

Bench Polkov

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Benchalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 07:36:10 PM »
The table has heavier loading the week before the comp because it is only 3 weeks from test til comp. If it is 4 weeks (isn't that what the U.A. program runs? ) then you generally reduce loading more due to the extra week.

Honestly if you want to try the 3 week comp cycle you should go ahead. It's the only way you'll find out if it works for you or not. I've run 3, 4 and 5 week comp cycles and all have worked well for me.

DocWallaby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 09:07:56 PM »
The UA part 2 comp cycle is week one low to normal, week two 100% tests, week 3 low volume, week 4 almost nothing at all.