April 24, 2017, 02:33:04 AM

Author Topic: Training for gaining weight for reaching higher weightclass (question for Boris)  (Read 15122 times)

Petarosus18

• View Profile
Is it against do rules to ask, what is the difference in drug-free vs. enhanced athlete (in hypertrophy building) ? If so- please delete this question immidiately. I dont want to be impolite.

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Is it against do rules to ask, what is the difference in drug-free vs. enhanced athlete (in hypertrophy building) ? If so- please delete this question immidiately. I dont want to be impolite.

Faster recovery which means more frequent workouts and more overall volume. Priorities also shift around a little bit. For a natural athlete the training program is pretty much the limiting factor. For the enhanced athlete the training program is less important and food consumption becomes the limiting factor.

joshuadelapenha

• View Profile
Currently on week 3 of sheiko 37. 5'9 and 152lbs. Should i finish 37 and then run 37 and 32 or should I stop and start your program next week?

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You could finish the last week of #37 then start the second block of mine. It won't make any difference though if you don't increase your calorie intake.

Drink your calories in the form of shakes if you have a hard time eating enough. I had trouble gaining weight for a while. Finally I just added a big cup of milk to every meal. That worked for a bit then I needed more calories. I found ways to make my meals bigger. Then I started getting hungrier throughout the day and I added shakes between meals. Finally I got a bit fat and so cut back down a little. Pretty simple in retrospect.

joshuadelapenha

• View Profile
You could finish the last week of #37 then start the second block of mine. It won't make any difference though if you don't increase your calorie intake.

Drink your calories in the form of shakes if you have a hard time eating enough. I had trouble gaining weight for a while. Finally I just added a big cup of milk to every meal. That worked for a bit then I needed more calories. I found ways to make my meals bigger. Then I started getting hungrier throughout the day and I added shakes between meals. Finally I got a bit fat and so cut back down a little. Pretty simple in retrospect.

Thanks for the advice Robert. I have a food scale to measure my food so I will know exactly how many calories i am taking. Blender is broken is going to buy a new one to make 1000kcal shakes.

Petarosus18

• View Profile
Hi guys.
I actually made some homework and found interesting thing for people to consider. If Im 182 cms  tall my weight should be above 110 kgs to perform best in powerlifting (Boris Sheiko s measurements in this post: http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=6.0). The thing is If I open a program for calculation of maximum natural muscular potential for my body for talented individual after years of training (http://www.weightrainer.net/bodypred.html) its still 100 kgs with 15% bodyfat (which is not particularly low). So as an example Im still 10 kgs downXD. This might not only be interesting for anybody thinking about his powerlifting carrier in a future, but also very interesting for exploring true nature of most records in drug-tested federations.

Don

• View Profile
Hi guys.
I actually made some homework and found interesting thing for people to consider. If Im 182 cms  tall my weight should be above 110 kgs to perform best in powerlifting (Boris Sheiko s measurements in this post: http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=6.0). The thing is If I open a program for calculation of maximum natural muscular potential for my body for talented individual after years of training (http://www.weightrainer.net/bodypred.html) its still 100 kgs with 15% bodyfat (which is not particularly low). So as an example Im still 10 kgs downXD. This might not only be interesting for anybody thinking about his powerlifting carrier in a future, but also very interesting for exploring true nature of most records in drug-tested federations.

Maybe your wrist and ankle circumference is too small.  If you had an extra inch or two circumference on your wirsts and ankles you would weigh more and reach Boris's recommendation at 15% body fat.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:50:18 AM by Don »

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hi guys.

You should be aware that the further you are from competition ready bodybuilder body fat levels, the less accurate that calculator will be. The more fat you have the more muscle mass you can sustain. So with some extra fat it's not too hard to surpass those levels. For more info on that you could look up a study done with sumo wrestlers and bodybuilders. As it turns out, the sumo guys have more total muscle mass than the guys whose job it is to specifically build as much muscle mass as possible.

Petarosus18

• View Profile
Well I never wanted to be in drug-free federations anyway so its not really my concern I just found that interesting:-). Its interesting when I compare it with a study made about what is bodyshape and measurement between powerlifters compared to theyr success. Suprisingly study showed direct corelation between muscle mass and results:-). Just my 2 cents:-).

georgeslaraque

• View Profile
Here is my 4 day program modified for more hypertrophy emphasis. I currently do something just like this and enjoy it very much. That said, I know people that this would be terrible for. Mainly because they are strong and have bad form.

It's still pretty much the same but there are more lifts between 70-80% for the main lifts and more additional lift volume. Special exercises are left alone so they do what they are supposed to do without interference. 85% and above are left alone too. Reps go high enough to trigger a stronger metabolic response but not too high as to degrade form excessively and lengthen recovery. So it's not a dedicated hypertrophy program, just one with an added hypertrophy emphasis.

Hi Robert,

Do you find the modifications you made on the main lifts, in anyway have stopped or would stop/interfere in making strength gains?

I am following the 4 day program (which I love btw), but at times when it calls for 4x2 @70%/80% etc.. I know I have loads more in the tank.   

lanidrac

• View Profile
Here is my 4 day program modified for more hypertrophy emphasis. I currently do something just like this and enjoy it very much. That said, I know people that this would be terrible for. Mainly because they are strong and have bad form.

It's still pretty much the same but there are more lifts between 70-80% for the main lifts and more additional lift volume. Special exercises are left alone so they do what they are supposed to do without interference. 85% and above are left alone too. Reps go high enough to trigger a stronger metabolic response but not too high as to degrade form excessively and lengthen recovery. So it's not a dedicated hypertrophy program, just one with an added hypertrophy emphasis.

Hi Robert,

Do you find the modifications you made on the main lifts, in anyway have stopped or would stop/interfere in making strength gains?

I am following the 4 day program (which I love btw), but at times when it calls for 4x2 @70%/80% etc.. I know I have loads more in the tank.

Bump I would like to hear what Robert thinks on this subject

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The same question was copied and pasted elsewhere. Here's what I wrote:

Did the changes prevent or hinder my progress? No, but it does make my workouts longer which I don't always have the time for.

One easy way to get a little extra work done when you feel strong is to do the reps with longs pauses and explosive concentric tempos. A little extra power at the bottom is usually not a bad idea and it makes the all the fuss about weight/sets/reps simple. Don't make every workout hard though. You need easy, medium, and hard workouts all working together.

There's some other interesting stuff there too.
http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=313.msg2830#msg2830
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:43:59 PM by Robert Frederick »

Toni

• View Profile

Robert, this sounds good! Can it we applied in 3 day program as well?

jackyphan7

• View Profile
Hey there i was wondering if theres a 3 day version of this? The program moves me to advanced medium load but with my ciurrent working condition only 3 days are good for training.