April 08, 2020, 09:03:03 AM

Author Topic: Training for gaining weight for reaching higher weightclass (question for Boris)  (Read 31872 times)

Petarosus18

• View Profile
Hi, Boris Ivanovich.
I ve read you mentioned somewhere that, you will create a training plan for gaining weight (as well as strength). Will you post it here? Or you will save it for a book or something?
Thank you

BuccioniPL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hi, Boris Ivanovich.
I ve read you mentioned somewhere that, you will create a training plan for gaining weight (as well as strength). Will you post it here? Or you will save it for a book or something?
Thank you

Interesting question. I guess, in case he will provide it, it's a matter of basically train with higher reps and more assistance. Let's wait for it.
"Hard in the training, easy in the battle"

EN85

• View Profile
I am very interested in this as well (even though im not a beginner anymore). After my next meet I also have to move on to the next weightclass. Gaining weight is easy, but gaining lean mass is way harder. Very curious how Boris approaches this.

Boris Sheiko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The method differs by incorporating a larger number of lifts (6-8 reps), which leads to an increase in muscle mass of the athlete.

Maurizio

• Class 1
    • View Profile
The method differs by incorporating a larger number of lifts (6-8 reps), which leads to an increase in muscle mass of the athlete.

you can post an example?

BuccioniPL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

you can post an example?

I can place here an example in the meanwhile: squat 50% x6, 60%x6, 65% x6x4
"Hard in the training, easy in the battle"

Maurizio

• Class 1
    • View Profile

you can post an example?

I can place here an example in the meanwhile: squat 50% x6, 60%x6, 65% x6x4

thank's but... 6 sets or 6 reps? and the rests between sets?

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You could try something like this:

Extended Pyramid
%RM       Reps        Sets
50            5              1
60            5              1
70            4x             1
75            3x             1
80            2x             2
85            1x             2
75            f-1            1
65            f-1            1
55            f-1            1

where the "x" means explosive reps and "f-1" means one rep shy of failure.

Bench Polkov

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Benchalot
    • View Profile
And of course the fun old 70% x 5, 3, 7, 5, 9, 6, 8, 4, 6, 3, 5

DRY

• View Profile
And of course the fun old 70% x 5, 3, 7, 5, 9, 6, 8, 4, 6, 3, 5
I'd never get through that.... not for the difficulty but how am I supposed to count and not mess up? I'm a lifter not a genius

EN85

• View Profile
Would it be fair to think that when you add 2 reps you distract 5%? So let's say 4x2 @ 80% is prescripted, this would change into 4x4 75% or 4x6 70% or 4x8 65% etc?

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Would it be fair to think that when you add 2 reps you distract 5%? So let's say 4x2 @ 80% is prescripted, this would change into 4x4 75% or 4x6 70% or 4x8 65% etc?

If you're using one of the spreadsheets send me a copy of yours and I'll show you what it looks like after modification.

EN85

• View Profile

If you're using one of the spreadsheets send me a copy of yours and I'll show you what it looks like after modification.

I am currently running the 3 days a week for lifters over 80 kilo bw (as found on this forum). On the saturday i add in mostly UB stuff (like dips, chins, oh presses, cable rows, delts iso and biceps iso) with some conditioning (max 10 mins; interval sprint variation, boxing, bear hug runs, throwing, jumps etc).

On days with a double squat session i replace the second squat for paused squats if the reps are lower than 3, when they are higher i replace them for safety squat bar squats. Both helped me enormously with my form. On both squat variations i apply the 5/10% method.

I also want to add in chains again, this will happen on my next cycle. My chains are way too heavy now (18 kilo a piece), so i need to adjust them first.

Assistance is mainly what the sheet says, although i like to play around with the movements and repranges.

After the dutch raw championships (in December) i have to move up from the -83 to the -93 class due to my length. This has to be as lean as possible, because im not a big believer of fat leverage being positive.

I am very curious how you would adjust the sheet to meet this goal!!! It is also possible too switch to the 4 days a week sheet for me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:40:16 PM by EN85 »

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Here is my Roberts Hypertrophy Program modified for more hypertrophy emphasis. I currently do something just like this and enjoy it very much. That said, I know people that this would be terrible for. Mainly because they are strong and have bad form.

It's still pretty much the same but there are more lifts between 70-80% for the main lifts and more additional lift volume. Special exercises are left alone so they do what they are supposed to do without interference. 85% and above are left alone too. Reps go high enough to trigger a stronger metabolic response but not too high as to degrade form excessively and lengthen recovery. So it's not a dedicated hypertrophy program, just one with an added hypertrophy emphasis. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:56:46 PM by RussianBear »

EN85

• View Profile
Here is my 4 day program modified for more hypertrophy emphasis. I currently do something just like this and enjoy it very much. That said, I know people that this would be terrible for. Mainly because they are strong and have bad form.

It's still pretty much the same but there are more lifts between 70-80% for the main lifts and more additional lift volume. Special exercises are left alone so they do what they are supposed to do without interference. 85% and above are left alone too. Reps go high enough to trigger a stronger metabolic response but not too high as to degrade form excessively and lengthen recovery. So it's not a dedicated hypertrophy program, just one with an added hypertrophy emphasis.

Looks pretty cool. Thank you.

I will let you know how it goes after December.