July 20, 2019, 05:32:40 PM

Author Topic: Adjust maxes after skill test ?  (Read 578 times)

DoobleD

• View Profile
Adjust maxes after skill test ?
« on: January 01, 2019, 07:56:47 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new to Sheiko training and I'm currently doing the intermediate medium load from the Android app.

I've done the skill test last week (first week of the competition cycle), and I'm not sure of how I should adjust weights after the test, if I should adjust them at all. I've searched a little but I found contradictory advices on that.

Here is what happened on the test:

- squat: I succeeded at 105% no trouble (137 kg). I was very surprised to lift the weight, and it didn't feel that hard. I then did ~107.5%, then ~110% (142.5 kg). Hard to believe Sheiko worked that well on my squat, amazing. I later heard I should've stopped at 105%, is this correct?

- bench: I first failed at 100% (120 kg), then tried again and barely made it. I stopped there.

- deadlift: I failed at 100% (170 kg) twice. I then went down to 94% (160 kg) and failed again! I passed 160 kg on my second try, and stopped there.

So: squat great, bench same, deadlift bad. I think my technique is not right on the deadlift, I'll try to work on that. Also before Sheiko I used to work my back much more. I had 2 whole training days essentially for my back (bodybuilding type training). With Sheiko intermediate I only get 2 deadlift on Wednesdays, and rarely some accessory pull ups. Quite a change for my back. Oh and I used to deadlift using straps and touch and go before Sheiko.

Anyway, are we supposed to change our 1RM after the skill test for the remaining of the cycle, or not?

If so, what new maxes would you recommend?

Thanks for the help !

Elysium

• View Profile
Re: Adjust maxes after skill test ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 01:07:09 AM »
just leaving my mark on your thread because I have the same question

>>In theory you keep doing the entire program without increasing maxes until competition

I had the same problem 2 weeks ago on my 105% testing (intermediate small load), ugly 100% squat (stopped there), can't lift 100% of deads (stopped there), but increased my bench and did 107% super easy...I was planning on keep my current maxes on squats and deads, and increase a little bit my bench...let's see what advanced lifters say  :o

DoobleD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 02:54:29 PM »
Thanks for the mark, good to know others have the same issue.

Would you have a reference for the fact that maxes shouldn't be changed ? I'm asking this because I have read several contradictory statements on this. For instance on this interview : https://liftvault.com/resources/sheiko-interview/#What_percentages_are_generally_used_outside_of_a_peaking_phase Sheiko says :

And then during competition phases we only go to a true max one time outside of the meet itself, about 17 days before competition where we’ll take someone to 100% to do their pre-competition test. We base their competition numbers on that, but other than that we go to 90%= very rarely.

This could to imply that maxes are updated after the skill test depending on how the athlete performed. It's not clear though. I've also read somewhere that, as you said, maxes shouldnt be changed, but I can't get my hand on the link.

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »
It depends on how far out you are from competition. Don't adjust your maxes for competition based on the skill test you do 2-3 weeks out.

Read more here: http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=313.15
"For one to press a lot, one must press a lot, comrade."

DoobleD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 05:10:33 PM »
It depends on how far out you are from competition. Don't adjust your maxes for competition based on the skill test you do 2-3 weeks out.

Read more here: http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=313.15

Thank you for the answer !

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 11:17:10 PM »
It gets more complicated when you are hitting higher numbers at the skill test than at the comp. for whatever reason. In that case I would recommend choosing the higher of the two and look at the 80 and 85 % and look if that is doable. If yes, go with the higher. If one increase maxes with a lot, then I would follow Boris advice on added a bit of kilos each week / each other week. Just wanted to make a little bit more detailed statement.

/RB
"For one to press a lot, one must press a lot, comrade."

DoobleD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 04:52:03 PM »
It gets more complicated when you are hitting higher numbers at the skill test than at the comp. for whatever reason. In that case I would recommend choosing the higher of the two and look at the 80 and 85 % and look if that is doable. If yes, go with the higher. If one increase maxes with a lot, then I would follow Boris advice on added a bit of kilos each week / each other week. Just wanted to make a little bit more detailed statement.

/RB

Thanks for the details. I'll see how I do at the comp and I'll think about that in case I get lower maxes than at the skill test.