November 21, 2018, 01:42:09 AM

Author Topic: Questions as a newbie  (Read 150 times)

Mamaherrera

• View Profile
Questions as a newbie
« on: November 06, 2018, 02:06:45 AM »
Are there links of good explanations for bench press, techniqie and breathing? Also, after having read lots of info here, I realize that my accessories needed are leg presses, glute bridges, wall squats, etc. Do I just add these on to my main workout? Also, paused squats, is there a link on a good explanation on how to do those? I get a bit light headed while doing them, so im hoping for a little help on those. And with accessory exercises, do I just make up my own reps and sets? Hope for lots of help and amvery appreciative of it all. Also if I dont feel comfy with holding breath until I come up completely, can I let some out little by little on the way up (squat).  And with deadlifts, can you breath anywhere in the middle of the rep, like at the top?

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Questions as a newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 11:58:20 AM »
Are there links of good explanations for bench press, techniqie and breathing? Also, after having read lots of info here, I realize that my accessories needed are leg presses, glute bridges, wall squats, etc. Do I just add these on to my main workout? Also, paused squats, is there a link on a good explanation on how to do those? I get a bit light headed while doing them, so im hoping for a little help on those. And with accessory exercises, do I just make up my own reps and sets? Hope for lots of help and amvery appreciative of it all. Also if I dont feel comfy with holding breath until I come up completely, can I let some out little by little on the way up (squat).  And with deadlifts, can you breath anywhere in the middle of the rep, like at the top?

There are quite different opinion on breathing in bench press. Wall squats are often done as warm up for normal squats. for leg presses and glute brigdes I would do sth. like 6-10 reps of 3-5 sets. You don't add them, you replace the other support exercises, so do it with care.

What makes you feel uncomfy?
"For one to press a lot, one must press a lot, comrade."

Mamaherrera

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 12:15:43 AM »
When I hold my breath during squats, I feel dizzy and some pressure in my ears and I don't like to think that I'm spiking my blood pressure frequently to do this.  I would like a safer way of breathing that still protects my spine.  I tried wall squats but my face into the wall, was not fun and my ankle flexibility is what really doesn't allow me to squat vertically. 

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 06:00:35 PM »
When I hold my breath during squats, I feel dizzy and some pressure in my ears and I don't like to think that I'm spiking my blood pressure frequently to do this.  I would like a safer way of breathing that still protects my spine.  I tried wall squats but my face into the wall, was not fun and my ankle flexibility is what really doesn't allow me to squat vertically.

You should brace your core for squatting but suffocate yourself xD. You don't want to unbraced when squatting because then you may increase the risk on injury.

Find Boris Sheikos video on wall squats. If I remember correctly, it stars Chreiz from the forum. It may be on instagram. It is really good and explains more carefully the wall squat.

Mamaherrera

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »
I can take a look at the video again, it does talk about a short wall, but I don't have one.  Are there any links or help for having super tight ankle mobility?  And if I decide to do forced exhalation on squats instead of valsalva, how is that done?

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 11:12:33 PM »
http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=283.0

take a look and perhaps search the board a little. I will look what I have and come back to you :)

/RB

Mamaherrera

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 11:21:52 PM »
thanks so much.  If you do find anything, please let me know.  I did search the other day and just saw some accessory exercises for glutes. 

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 08:23:03 PM »
Regarding your ankle mobility, I would do some dynamic warm-up for them before every squat session and stretch them with a static stress after each session to improve mobility. Try to find some good routines on youtube. Boris doesn't usually give much advice on stretching, nothing more than you should do it anyway.

How you forced exhalation on squats? You mean squatting after exhaling? well, you simple don't do that. Especially not if your goal is to lift big weights.

/RB