November 21, 2018, 01:42:53 AM

Author Topic: Diminishing chest work  (Read 210 times)

Goliath23

• View Profile
Diminishing chest work
« on: September 08, 2018, 07:08:04 AM »
Somi keep running into the same issue periodically every 6 months or more. I end up pulling my chest muscle or getting some nagging shoulder injury. I have bad shoulder issues which are a constant work in progress the pain seems to be caused by my pecs taking over and getting overworked.

Has anybody successfully implemented shoulder work instead of bench press. I'm not looking to replace it entirely but likely looking at 2 -3 times a week of bench max then the rest being a controlled shoulder press.

Been doing sheiko for a couple yrs with great success. Usually stick with the 4 day advanced low volume as I'm a 125kg lifter with a 470 wilks.

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Diminishing chest work
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 02:06:52 PM »
I had similar issues and never successfully resolved them for my case. Every time my bench got up to about 175-180kg @~83kg, it was either a pec or shoulder issue that made me reduce the weights for a while. Then things would clear up and I'd start inching the weight back up, only to have one of those issues reappear. It happened so many times that I just came to the conclusion that was my structural limit even though I felt I could do more.

A little while later I had a knee issue. I thought that was game over but I nursed it back over a couple years and it feels fine now. So in hindsight, maybe I just needed to take my pec/shoulder recovery a bit slower. Maybe a few months was not enough.