July 17, 2018, 03:06:18 AM

Author Topic: Modified “big 3”  (Read 132 times)

thenextblaha

• View Profile
Modified “big 3”
« on: July 03, 2018, 07:55:46 PM »
I am loving my off season training at the moment and on a hiatus from general powerlfting training. I am considering running the principles of 37/30/32 for front squat, ohp/push press and deficit deadlift. I would love to become strong in these three lifts over the conventional big 3 right now. Can it be as simple as like for like then tailoring the accessory work? Ie. I’m thinking of doing mainly close grip bench /incline work for pressing, some leg press for squat and then hypers and general back work for deads.

My front squat currently sucks compared to back squat anyway, and my lower back and deficits are not a problem, currently doing 3-5x8-12 for them beltless no issues. I am torn between push and strict press, is there one that may be more suited towards the sheiko principles? Again more overhead strength is weak,  literally less than half my bench press. Deficit deadlifts I simply love. One tweak I may incooperate is dropping the sets by 3-4 a week for ohp, as it is much less advanced and that may be unnecessary volume? Start low finish high right?

Any feedback or advice with regards to this would be appreciated.

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Modified “big 3”
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 11:56:15 PM »
I know some who had success and fun running it with front squat, incline bench press and deficit from a small deficit (i.e. 5 cm ish) as main exercises. So perhaps it will work for you. Try it out and lets us know.

Again more overhead strength is weak,  literally less than half my bench press.

mine is too. Do not worry about that. for a push press I might be able to manage + 50 %

"For one to press a lot, one must press a lot, comrade."