October 20, 2018, 09:14:14 PM

Author Topic: 6 weeks to competition - intermediate vs beginner program?  (Read 779 times)

oneseventyfour

• View Profile
6 weeks to competition - intermediate vs beginner program?
« on: April 08, 2018, 04:30:02 PM »
Hey there!

I hope I’m writing this in the appropriate section of the forum!

I got the Sheiko app last week after deciding on switching to Sheiko. I have previously trained 4 times per week but I decided I would rather train three longer workouts per week than three shorter. My previous program was progressive and being honest I think I could have gotten more out of it, especially in my squat. I guess the whole Sheiko-philosophy speaks to me more than 5x5-style progressive overload. I am a member of a powerlifting club that helps me a lot with technique etc.

I weigh 65kg, aprox 174cm.
My current stats are aprox (conservative)
Deadlift 5x5 115kg
Squat 5x5 80kg
Bench 5x5 60kg

I would say only the bench is my actual max, I definitely have more in me with regards to the squat and deadlift.

I have my first comp in six whole weeks (exciting). The app recommended intermediate medium load so I started that but in week six but I started thinking maybe I should do the beginner cycle that the app provides instead. Especially as I am starting in the middle of it (because of the competition being in six weeks.

What would you recommend? Should I start this week coming with the beginner prep cycle week 3 to time it with the competition?

I would be most grateful for your thoughts on this!

T2S

• View Profile
Re: 6 weeks to competition - intermediate vs beginner program?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 06:11:41 AM »
Greetings  oneseventyfour,

Based on the lifts you have posted, I would expect that your actual maxes are somewhere in the neighborhood of

Sq-110-120, Bp-70-75, Dl-135-150

if my estimates are correct then you would not meet the class 3 requirements at the 67.5k class, as such, you could likely get away with some decent gains from the Beginner low load program. I am currently training a 120k
Master of Sport who is running the Intermediate Medium load program from the app. If you have been able to handle the volume thus far that's great, lighter lifters tend to recover faster. but the Low load beginner program should be sufficient volume for you to make progress for a few training cycles.

Regards
Phil T