August 18, 2018, 04:04:48 AM

Author Topic: Programming a break from Sheiko style training  (Read 385 times)

ibobland08

• View Profile
Programming a break from Sheiko style training
« on: March 10, 2018, 09:31:59 PM »
I've been training Sheiko style programming for about 4 years including a two year stint as an online student.  While think Sheiko style training is fantastic for meet preparation, I have regressed significantly in fitness (muscle size, conditioning, general strength) while running sheiko programs. 

This doesn't bother me too much, but I regressed a bit in specific strength in the competition lifts as well.  For instance I bench pressed 350 lbs in 2014 (I am about 174 lbs for reference) and now I can barely bench press 320 lbs.  The story is the same for squat, deadlift, and variations that correlate strongly with my competition lifts.  My technique has greatly improved over the years, but that's about it.

On top of this I have developed imbalances, mobility issues, and injuries that have occurred due to overuse.  I tried decreasing the training load, but I just got weaker and smaller.

I have come to the conclusion that I simply can't run Sheiko programs year round.  I am currently tapering down for a meet, but I am thinking about my next training cycle.  I plan on programming a phase of training where I do not do the competition lifts at all and no low rep sets to give myself a break. 

My plan is to do high bar squats, dips, incline bench press, guillotine presses, and other variations to build size and general strength.  Reps per set will vary from 6-12 reps.  The program will include smaller accessory exercises too.

Anybody have any advice on how I can avoid a major loss in specific strength and technique?  I think I am going to have to spend at least three months doing this.

lasjack

• Powerlifting
    • View Profile
Re: Programming a break from Sheiko style training
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 07:55:29 PM »
In terms of specificity I don't think you will be able to maintain the same strength but it doesn't sound like that's your goal here. Switching it up like this is a great idea and from my personal experience i've found this is the main thing that keeps injuries away--not getting too greedy with one specific program, loading, lift, etc.