July 20, 2018, 05:11:05 PM

Author Topic: Where to Start for Olympic Weightlifter  (Read 598 times)

rdijulio

• View Profile
Where to Start for Olympic Weightlifter
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:54:44 AM »
Yes my main focus is olympic weightlifting but I am nursing a bad shoulder and cannot snatch. So I've decided to take the next few months/half a year to achieve some strength goals particular in the squat.

I've always been interested in Sheiko because from my knowledge its higher in volume and lower in intensity which I tend to do better on. So here are my lifts:

Squat: 165 kg
Bench: 110 kg
Deadlift: 190 kg
BW: 77 kg
Training since 2010, but with some injuries in 2012-2014.

This puts me in the mud between Class 1 / CMS for 75-83 class. It seems like making adjustments to the programs is encouraged and was planning to use overhead pressing variants for bench workouts as benching aggravates my shoulder (my press is 75 kg). Second I would like to do Clean and Jerk Variants 1-2 times a week, relatively light, so as not to lose technical proficiency. I'll be able to train 3-4 times a week for the next few months.

I am about to purchase the app and look more into it, any thoughts and advice is appreciated and if anybody thinks its not a good fit let me know and I'll look into something else!

-Ross

CarbedUp_VeganMuscle

• View Profile
Re: Where to Start for Olympic Weightlifter
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 10:14:19 PM »
Hey, I'm also a weightlifter as my primary sport.  I will tell you kind of how I use the app and maybe you'll find it useful is some way.  On the app there are 3 day/week and 4 day/week programs.  From there they are cut into small, medium, and large loads.  When you plug in your info the app will automatically place you in one of those.  When I competed in powerlifting (before I saw the light and made the change to weightlifting) I primary used the 4 day/week medium load.  When I got into weightlifting however I came to a gym with a WL team and was basically training 6 day's/week on their programs.  I still train with the team 1 day/week, but I found that my direct strength movements went down over time.  I realize there are factors like specificity, and fatigue, but I was doing a lot of the competition lifts at lower intensities that I didn't really feel were serving me well as a weightlifter, or in maximal strength.  So I still train with the team who all use a variety of different programs, but I use Sheiko for my strength work, and I use the app and I'll detail that below. 

I use the small load because it has few lifts than the medium and large loads.  I am filling the space of those fewer lifts with snatch and Clean & Jerk assistance, variation, and full lifts. 

When I see things like "chest muscles" which are benching assistance movements come up in the app I sub those out for snatch assistance movements like muscle snatch, panda pulls, or the "Trapi" lifts (Klokov), or maybe a complex if I feel it's relevant to addressing my weaknesses.  I also do stretches or use bands in between those lifts to actually keep with the purpose of injury prevention in my chest which is why I think "chest muscle" exercises show up in the app in the first place. 

Secondly,  I add in 2 day's of soley snatch and Clean & Jerk.  I use Sheiko on Mon, Tue, Thur, Sat.  On Wednesday and Friday, or sometimes Wednesday and Saturday (double day) I specifically train snatch and Clean & jerk.  On Wednesday i work snatch and Clean & Jerk from either a hang above the knee, below the knee, low hang, or off blocks.  I also do jerk doubles, triples, or something jerk related that, again, addresses my weaknesses.  And then I work up to a heavy single in the front squat.  This is the only front squat that I do during the week.  I only do a single with no volume sets, because the back squatting on the app is basically addressing all necessary volume for the squat.  The purpose in doing the heavy single front squat this day is just skill acquisition and the neurological efficiency to carry over to standing up in the clean.   So, not a "max front squat," but just a heavy single.  And then on Friday I work up to around 90+% in the competition lifts.  This is a concept that I took from the LSUS and California strength where you have a day every week to go pretty heavy in the competition lifts.   So that's basically how I use it.   

In the past I've tried also putting in snatch for bench press, and front squat and clean & Jerk in place of squat and deadlift, but just like I mentioned before, this didn't really serve me very well to rely on snatch and C&J for the majority of my strength volume.  I feel like Sheiko powerlifting programs are there to make you as strong as you can get.  And if you use the small load program then it will allow you to allocate that extra volume to the competition lifts and if you do it wisely then I think it can work really well. 

rdijulio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:00:34 AM »
Hey, I'm also a weightlifter as my primary sport.  I will tell you kind of how I use the app and maybe you'll find it useful is some way.  On the app there are 3 day/week and 4 day/week programs.  From there they are cut into small, medium, and large loads.  When you plug in your info the app will automatically place you in one of those.  When I competed in powerlifting (before I saw the light and made the change to weightlifting) I primary used the 4 day/week medium load.  When I got into weightlifting however I came to a gym with a WL team and was basically training 6 day's/week on their programs.  I still train with the team 1 day/week, but I found that my direct strength movements went down over time.  I realize there are factors like specificity, and fatigue, but I was doing a lot of the competition lifts at lower intensities that I didn't really feel were serving me well as a weightlifter, or in maximal strength.  So I still train with the team who all use a variety of different programs, but I use Sheiko for my strength work, and I use the app and I'll detail that below. 

I use the small load because it has few lifts than the medium and large loads.  I am filling the space of those fewer lifts with snatch and Clean & Jerk assistance, variation, and full lifts. 

When I see things like "chest muscles" which are benching assistance movements come up in the app I sub those out for snatch assistance movements like muscle snatch, panda pulls, or the "Trapi" lifts (Klokov), or maybe a complex if I feel it's relevant to addressing my weaknesses.  I also do stretches or use bands in between those lifts to actually keep with the purpose of injury prevention in my chest which is why I think "chest muscle" exercises show up in the app in the first place. 

Secondly,  I add in 2 day's of soley snatch and Clean & Jerk.  I use Sheiko on Mon, Tue, Thur, Sat.  On Wednesday and Friday, or sometimes Wednesday and Saturday (double day) I specifically train snatch and Clean & jerk.  On Wednesday i work snatch and Clean & Jerk from either a hang above the knee, below the knee, low hang, or off blocks.  I also do jerk doubles, triples, or something jerk related that, again, addresses my weaknesses.  And then I work up to a heavy single in the front squat.  This is the only front squat that I do during the week.  I only do a single with no volume sets, because the back squatting on the app is basically addressing all necessary volume for the squat.  The purpose in doing the heavy single front squat this day is just skill acquisition and the neurological efficiency to carry over to standing up in the clean.   So, not a "max front squat," but just a heavy single.  And then on Friday I work up to around 90+% in the competition lifts.  This is a concept that I took from the LSUS and California strength where you have a day every week to go pretty heavy in the competition lifts.   So that's basically how I use it.   

In the past I've tried also putting in snatch for bench press, and front squat and clean & Jerk in place of squat and deadlift, but just like I mentioned before, this didn't really serve me very well to rely on snatch and C&J for the majority of my strength volume.  I feel like Sheiko powerlifting programs are there to make you as strong as you can get.  And if you use the small load program then it will allow you to allocate that extra volume to the competition lifts and if you do it wisely then I think it can work really well. 

Thanks for the response. This is very helpful. I decided to go with the 4 day program as I can't snatch anyways due to my shoulder. I am going to stick with this and then when my shoulder gets better I'll look into the 3 day program. On a side note, I am getting into week 3 and finding the volume and intensity to be very easy compared to my weightlifting programs in the past. What has been your experience with this?

CarbedUp_VeganMuscle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 05:08:21 AM »
It kind of varies from week to week.  usually the first week feels pretty easy, but right about end of week 2 or beginning of week 3 i start to feel the effects of fatigue.  But one thing I like a lot about Sheiko is that it comes in waves.  On the app you can see "N.L." (Number of lifts), and "A.W.L" (average weight lifted), and they both go up and down with the idea that it allows you to manage fatigue.  And then the competition cycle actually has a full deload leading up to testing maxes. 

Another option that I do that you could consider is just using the same %'s that the app uses for Squat, bench or deadlift that week for you C&J.  You can probably manage a little more since you're not snatching, but I've done it where on my midweek session where I do the snatch and C&J from various heights that I'll do the same squat or bench % workout as was prescribed for that Monday workout for Snatch and then do the clean with the Jerk being the reps. And then on Saturday I'll do like the Thursday % work for the snatch and clean and jerk, but this time I'll do the clean for the reps, and only do 1 jerk after I've done the prescribed reps for the clean.  Working up to heavy singles every week can be mentally fatiguing in the S/C&J sometimes too.  I heard a great quote from Chad Wesley Smith that wasn't directly about the Olympic lifts, but I think it's still fitting and that was, "You don't get stronger by missing lifts, you get stronger by making them."  So if I'm struggling to hit heavier weights, or just don't feel like plowing through a heavy S/C&J session, then I'll use the Sheiko %'s for everything that week and do the prescribed assistance movements.