July 17, 2018, 03:08:33 AM

Author Topic: Unsure of next program to follow  (Read 613 times)

ryan103

• View Profile
Unsure of next program to follow
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:21:15 AM »
I just finished my test day for intermediate, medium load, over 80 kg.  My squat and deadlift PR attempts were misses both on the first and fourth weeks of the competition cycle.  Bench was a meager 5 lb increase on week 4, day 3 of the competition cycle.  My bodyweight is approximately 255 lbs and I am 39 years old.

Starting 1RM's - based upon successful lifts: BS - 455; DL - 505; BP, Paused - 345;

Recommended test weights - BS - 477.5 lbs; DL - 530 lbs; BP - 362.5;

I workout in my garage so a few of the exercises required substitutions.  This may have created an issue in my performance, but I'm not entirely sure.

I substituted leg press with safety squat bar front squats, hyperextensions with standing good mornings, incline BP with standing overhead press.

I now have a hyperextension bench so that exercise will be true to form from this point forward. 

Regardless, I'm not sure what I should do next.  I'm not very confident running the intermediate medium 12 week programming  again at nearly the same weights will improve my performance.  Do you have any suggestions?

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Unsure of next program to follow
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:08:34 AM »
Those look like 105% tests. Those are kind of "shoot for the moon" numbers after a cycle. If you can do the preceding 102.5% tests then it was a success.

Before making any more comments about what to do, how did those go?

ryan103

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:17:04 PM »
Those look like 105% tests. Those are kind of "shoot for the moon" numbers after a cycle. If you can do the preceding 102.5% tests then it was a success.

Before making any more comments about what to do, how did those go?

That makes more sense.  On the first week of the competition cycle (days 1 and 2), I missed all the PR attempts, but they were at 105%.  The last workout, I went too high on squat - 475 (from a true 455 1RM) and failed.  Bench Press - tried 350 (from a true 345 1RM) and got it.  Deadlift - tried 515 (from a true 505 1RM) and failed. 

So, I missed both squat attempts but they were too aggressive.  I think (don't really know unless I try again) I could get 460 or 465 as I did squat 455 on week 1, day 1 of the competition cycle.  Deadlift was a total bust and I think some deficit work as well as more hypers may help from the ground, where I believe I'm weakest. 

Should I try for another squat PR attempt tonight (or tomorrow) at 460 or 465?  Or just switch things all together?  I was following the program to a tee and I now know 102.5% is the true goal of the program, not 105%. 

Thank you.

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 07:48:36 PM »
You pretty much want to always make some adjustments after each training cycle, unless you hit 105% on all three lifts. If that happens don't change anything and run it again to squeeze all you can out of it.

I'd say stick with it but make a few changes where you think they are needed. I'd prefer sticking with it because you have some familiarity with it now, while switching to something new might be mean starting the program discovery phase all over again. The program as written is just a starting point. Use your knowledge and experience with it to modify it and make it your own.

A suggestion about modifying -- make incremental changes. That makes it easier to identify what worked and what didn't when you do your post cycle evaluation.

Squat again? If you feel up for it. Missing it could be a motivational set back though.