October 18, 2019, 07:56:45 AM

Author Topic: Will the app "tell" me if I should change my programming?  (Read 904 times)

ryan103

• View Profile
Will the app "tell" me if I should change my programming?
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:30:50 PM »
Robert:

I have a quick question.  I've completed the medium load, intermediate prep phases I and II for over 80KG lifters.  I am now on the competition cycle.  When I finish the competition cycle, will the app provide a "recommendation" on how I should program next?

For example, would it recalculate my maxes from the competition cycle, then direct me to run the same programming again, but with the increased weight from the changes in my 1RM?  Or would something else be suggested, like advanced medium loading?

Thanks again. 

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Will the app "tell" me if I should change my programming?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 07:19:32 PM »
No. The app only recommends a place to start. After you work through the cycles you will have the info advantage. What I mean by that is you will have an idea about whether the volume was too little, too much, or just right.

The app will start you off with a medium load program so it should be fairly easy to know if you should switch to small or large load next time. By default, the app will always restart the same cycle after you finish. On your last day, you can do a mock meet and try to set some new maxes. Enter those in the app and you can do any of the cycles with your new maxes.

Beyond selecting the right volume, you'll probably also have an idea about which special exercises you thought were helpful and which were not. Scan through your chosen cycles and replace special exercises where needed with what you think will work better.

ryan103

• View Profile
Re: Will the app "tell" me if I should change my programming?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 09:39:03 PM »
Robert:

I went through week 1, day 2 of the medium load intermediate competition cycle, which had the 1RM attempts for Squat and Bench.  I missed both attempts, but I have realized a few shortcomings: (1) I drank alcohol the night prior; (2) I didn't get enough rest ; and most importantly (3) I didn't time my rest periods between sets properly.  I believe Boris stated to take anywhere between 8-10 minutes when you are at 90% of your 1RM or higher.  I never went longer on my rest then 7 minutes (most of the rests were 6 minutes at most).  That may have made a bigger deal than I initially thought.