September 25, 2018, 01:06:35 PM

Author Topic: New to Sheiko - a bit confused.  (Read 1210 times)

Acey

• View Profile
New to Sheiko - a bit confused.
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:39:48 PM »
Hello!

So.. I'm new to Sheiko as the title suggest - and I'm a bit confused as to how to structure or do the program. I'm coming off a 4 months linear progression basically on my squats and basically just want to continue onwards in a bit slower and controlled fashion (Not hitting a new 3x5 week in week out). But I've been training seriously for about 2 years. I'd personally say I handle volume well - I've been training with a upper/lower split 4 days per week, with a good amount of heavy pressing and rowing followed by lighter volume sets on the upperbody days, and on the lower body days usually 3x5 for squats followed by 1-2 sets of 8-10 with a lighter weight and after that RDL's 3-4 sets of 8 reps followed by ab work - and the other day squat is followed by regular deadlifts and ab work.

So far my numbers are: 22 years old, 110kg, 1.80cm.

Squat: 5rm 142.5 - estimated 1RM 163kg
Deadlift: 1RM 180kg
Benchpress: 1RM approx. 100kg - Have not been able to do them because I have a bad shoulder I have been trying to figure out.
Overhead Press: 1RM 80kg

Don't know it it matters to put in the OHP number, but that's what I've been doing when I couldn't do Benchpress.

What confuses me in regards to sheiko is: What should I do? What template should I do? Should I just buy the app and follow that?

From what I have understood of Sheiko so far then you do a desired amount of phases and then a meet where you obviously test you max or you test your maxes at the gym. However I personally I prefer to run through a cycle for 4 weeks and then increase my 1RM's by 5/10lbs and then go through the cycle again.. and so on and so on. Which is also why I have considered Wendlers 531, but Sheiko really speaks to me with all the specificity and volume. But can I run a Sheiko template for 4 weeks, increase my max, and then start another Sheiko template (with a higher number of total monthly reps than the previous) and increase my max.. and so on and so on eventually coming back to the first template with higher weights?

I have no plans on competing whatsoever - I'm just trying to get better and improving the lifts and personally I need to take a step back from the high intensity squatting and focus more on clean powerful reps.

I have been trying to figure out sheiko for the past 2 days - and I don't know if it's just me.. but I'm having difficulty finding a "how to do sheiko" guide or something similar :) I have found numerous articles and posts all over the internet with various templates to follow but different information and templates everytime. I'm aware that the templates are programs made for real lifters that needed a certain program back in the day, and that it has now surfaced and people are following them.

Sorry if I'm just asking the same question that you've heard a million times already.. but I just want to find a routine that I can just follow for a reeeeeeeally long time :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 12:32:27 AM by Acey »

padrino

• View Profile
Re: New to Sheiko - a bit confused.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 03:22:08 PM »
No worries man, that's what this forum is here for. You will find a lot of answers already here in the forum especially here:
http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?board=4.0

I would suggest you to buy the app (it's really worth it) and then choose a 4 day a week template, because Sheiko even wants  intermediate people to train 4 days per week if possible.

The most people in here start with the Advanced Medium Load and adjust from there. Every now and then you will test your 1RMs throughout the cycles and adjust it for the rest of the program.

So just buy the app, choose your preferable program (advanced medium load) and follow it through all the cycles. You will not regret it. Once you have completed all the cycles you can make adjustments as needed or choose a smaller or larger load.

By the way, the difference in small, medium and large loads is the amount of volume you have to do.

Hope this helps you a little bit.