September 26, 2018, 10:44:15 AM

Author Topic: Unsure how to proceed with program for bench press  (Read 1231 times)

adamsz

• View Profile
Unsure how to proceed with program for bench press
« on: July 20, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »
Some background: I have been running sheiko prgramming for my bench press on and off for many years. When the app debuted I did all the intermediate programs and then the advanced small load program, culminating in a 400lb bench press at 265lbs BW at the end of 2015. I proceed to take most of 2016 and beginning of 2017 off from training.

I came back to the gym in February and entered 315 as my max for bench press, and did the 3-month Intermediate Small load cycle, which resulted in a 380lb bench press at 270lbs BW.

I proceeded to enter 380 as my max in the app, and moved onto the Intermediate Medium Load program and finished the first prep cycle, and am halfway through the 2nd prep cycle. Throughout those 2 months my pecs have gotten progressively tighter and tighter and felt more and more strained, but I was still able to complete the training sessions.

Today I couldn't even get through all my warmups without feeling like I was going to tear my left pec if I proceeded because of how strained it felt, so I shut it down before even getting to the top sets.

I'm guessing my body just wasn't ready to adapt from the jump from the 315 max to the 380 max in the app in that small amount of time. Now I'm trying to decide how I should proceed.

I was thinking of taking the next bench day off to let the pecs heal up a bit, then maybe try and put in 90% of my 1RM in the app and go off that instead.

Curious to hear any suggestions.
Best Gym Lifts
Squat: 184kg / 405lbs (knee sleeves)
Bench Press: 170.45kg / 375lbs
Deadlift: 259kg / 570lbs

Best Competition Results
Squat: 182.5kg / 402lbs (knee sleeves)
Bench Press: 172.73kg / 380lbs
Deadlift: 265.9kg / 585lbs

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Unsure how to proceed with program for bench press
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 10:46:05 AM »
Doing a bunch of work at 80% with 385 as your max is a huge jump from 80% of 315. Sheiko says not to take big jumps up in training weight, even if your maxes increase by a lot. You want to break that big jump up into smaller steps. Add no more than 20lbs to a single training cycle. So, if you were to do it again, you'd use 335 for your first cycle, then 355 for the next, and so on.

How to take it from here? I'd go back to 335 and do that. Better to build up slowly than to get injured and do nothing for a while, then slowly build up.

adamsz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 08:14:50 PM »
Doing a bunch of work at 80% with 385 as your max is a huge jump from 80% of 315. Sheiko says not to take big jumps up in training weight, even if your maxes increase by a lot. You want to break that big jump up into smaller steps. Add no more than 20lbs to a single training cycle. So, if you were to do it again, you'd use 335 for your first cycle, then 355 for the next, and so on.

How to take it from here? I'd go back to 335 and do that. Better to build up slowly than to get injured and do nothing for a while, then slowly build up.

Yes in the past I always added around 10-20lbs to the training max every 3 month cycle, going from 315 to 400 over a 3 year period or so. I had thought that after my year off training and then the first 3 month training block that I had built the musculature and technique back up to the point where I could handle previous training maxes (e.g. 380), but I guess I was wrong.

Thank you for the response.
Best Gym Lifts

Best Competition Results

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 05:50:56 AM »
Better to build up slowly than to get injured and do nothing for a while, then slowly build up.

No sweat. I went with option two here several times.

adamsz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 10:46:47 AM »
continuing on this topic...

after the last post I continued with the intermediate medium load cycles with 545 as my max for my deadlift and 345 as my max for my bench press.

Upon completing the competition cycle I ended with a 380 bench press, which was the same result I had from the intermediate small load cycles with 315 entered as my max. I just barely failed 390 and probably would have got it had I not done my deadlift testing first before benching (this was in the gym, not at competition).

I ended with a 650 deadlift, which was a very large PR from my previous 585 with 525 entered as my max during the small load cycles.

Caveat: I'm a push pull lifter and actually use the squat programming from the app for my deadlift, and completely skip the actual deadlift portion of the program. So monday I deadlift/bench, wed I bench, and friday I deadlift/bench. It seems to be working great with the lower max and just really dialing in the technique.

I'm not sure how to continue. On the one hand the bench stalled, but I made amazing progress on the deadlift. I remember Sheiko posting recently about repeating programs if they produce a good result. So should I maybe repeat the medium load program for my deadlift and add 20lbs in the max? But then for the bench since it possibly stalled do the large load programming for that? If I do that for the bench, keep the same max input (345), or increase it since it's still lower than my actual max? Or do the large load cycles for both lifts, but not increase the max for the deadlift?

I think my deadlift could either handle more volume OR more weight, but probably not both simultaneously. Whenever I've tried to increase either too quickly I start getting some nagging injuries pop up.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:51:18 AM by adamsz »
Best Gym Lifts

Best Competition Results

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 02:51:17 PM »
The bench programming will work better with your actual max, instead of a submax. Try starting with 365 and adding the remaining weight after 4 weeks.