October 18, 2019, 08:01:16 AM

Author Topic: Should lower classes program lower intensities, below the recommended 68-72%?  (Read 1707 times)

bennyboi

• View Profile
Classes 2 & 3 - 3 training sessions per week - The athletes continue pursing technique mastery. Special preparatory exercises are used not only to secure technique, but also to increase the strength qualities of lagging muscle groups. Loading is increased from 600 - 750 competitive lifts and special preparatory exercises. The intensity of loads rises to 60-65% in the preparatory periods. The share of general physical exercise is reduced slightly.

From here: http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=311.0

If I am a Class III lifter, does this mean that if I were to program my own cycles, it is recommended to stay within 60-65% for the preparatory cycles? I'm assuming peaking is at 68-72%?

Week 1 - NL: 63 | aRI: 64.1 
Week 2 - NL: 44 | aRI: 65.4 
Week 3 - NL: 83 | aRI: 64.7
Week 4 - NL: 32 | aRI: 68.5
NL: 222 | aRI: 65.1

Or is the general recommendation for all classes to train between 68-72%?

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Classes 2 & 3 - 3 training sessions per week - The athletes continue pursing technique mastery. Special preparatory exercises are used not only to secure technique, but also to increase the strength qualities of lagging muscle groups. Loading is increased from 600 - 750 competitive lifts and special preparatory exercises. The intensity of loads rises to 60-65% in the preparatory periods. The share of general physical exercise is reduced slightly.

From here: http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=311.0

If I am a Class III lifter, does this mean that if I were to program my own cycles, it is recommended to stay within 60-65% for the preparatory cycles? I'm assuming peaking is at 68-72%?

No, reversed, your prep. would be at 68-72%

Or is the general recommendation for all classes to train between 68-72%?

For lower level of classes it makes sense to have lower average intensity for the purpose of developing technique and muscle mass. Interested,  read more here:  http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=6.0

"For one to press a lot, one must press a lot, comrade."

bennyboi

• View Profile
Can you explain what Boris Sheiko meant when he posted the following,

Beginners Month 2-4 - The result is 450 - 550 competitive lifts and special preparatory exercises at low intensity in the range of 50-60%.

Classes 2 & 3 - Loading is increased from 600 - 750 competitive lifts and special preparatory exercises. The intensity of loads rises to 60-65% in the preparatory periods.

Class 1 and CMS - The number of lifts in competitive and special preparatory exercises for 16 workouts per month range from 800 - 1300. Intensity increases to 67-69% in the preparatory periods.

It kind of makes it seem that prep periods are of much lower intensity for most classes, since it is mentioned over and over again. Unless this was an error in translation.

It's from this link: http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=311.0

But assuming prep cycles really are at 68-72% then what is the average relative intensity for peaking cycles?

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Can you explain what Boris Sheiko meant when he posted the following,

Beginners Month 2-4 - The result is 450 - 550 competitive lifts and special preparatory exercises at low intensity in the range of 50-60%.

I am just quoting one example to better be able to clarify. He says this of lifters should lift around 450-550 lifts (until they reach next level). Those 500 lifts, he splits them into "competitive lifts" and "special preparatory exercises". I think you are confused by the terms, so a short explanation may be warranted.

The competition exercises are the actual exercises of competition i.e. the squat, bench press, and the deadlift. The powerlifting competition exercises plays an important role in the lifters training since without them it is impossible to fully provide the athlete with the specific requirements of the squat, bench press, and the deadlift.

Special preparatory exercises are made up of components and variations of the competition exercises. They are very similar in regards to the form and the character of the abilities displayed in the competition exercise.

It kind of makes it seem that prep periods are of much lower intensity for most classes, since it is mentioned over and over again. Unless this was an error in translation.

It's from this link: http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=311.0

But assuming prep cycles really are at 68-72% then what is the average relative intensity for peaking cycles?

No, In fact it is not mentioned at all that "prep periods are of much lower intensity for most classes" (compared to comp. cycle). Sheiko is writing about the total amount of lifts in a general setup for increasing class levels.

Prep. cycles are normally at 68-72%. Comp. cycles can vary in intensity, volume & NL and it is useful to tailor it ones needs. Usually they are pretty similar in overall statistics but shows patterns that prep. periods don't exhibit (i.e. falling volume&NL wheres as intensity is approx. constant or slightly decreasing). I have attached an example (it shows intensity only).

bennyboi

• View Profile
Ahhh! Thank you! This makes a lot of sense. Clearly I misunderstood the terms.

Any word on the release date of Boris's book in english? I remember Mike Israetel was supposed to help translate it back in 2015...any updates?

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ahhh! Thank you! This makes a lot of sense. Clearly I misunderstood the terms.

Any word on the release date of Boris's book in english? I remember Mike Israetel was supposed to help translate it back in 2015...any updates?

Word is that is will be out soon (but that have been the word for quite some time now) but I don't have any sources on it. I hope it comes out soon - I cant wait to get my fingers on it!