January 20, 2017, 08:59:47 PM

Author Topic: Which program to use (a bit confused)  (Read 294 times)

waelassad37

• View Profile
Which program to use (a bit confused)
« on: January 03, 2017, 08:25:07 AM »
Hi,

I'm 5' 10" and 200 lbs, I'm currently on a DUP 4 day program plus an accessory day. So I bench, squat and DL typically 4 days a week (sometimes 3), but the volume /workout could be less for each lift but I do all three lifts every workout with different intensity and reps. My maxes are 270 for the bench and squats, and 310 for DLs.

Which workout in your formal app would be suitable for me, I am also looking to add size in addition to strength. Also, for the case when you specify 5x1 for instance, can I do a 1 set of 5 reps instead of 5 sets of 1 rep each, the volume would be the same. Thanks in advance.

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Which program to use (a bit confused)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 06:53:47 PM »
Hi,

I'm 5' 10" and 200 lbs, I'm currently on a DUP 4 day program plus an accessory day. So I bench, squat and DL typically 4 days a week (sometimes 3), but the volume /workout could be less for each lift but I do all three lifts every workout with different intensity and reps. My maxes are 270 for the bench and squats, and 310 for DLs.

Which workout in your formal app would be suitable for me, I am also looking to add size in addition to strength. Also, for the case when you specify 5x1 for instance, can I do a 1 set of 5 reps instead of 5 sets of 1 rep each, the volume would be the same. Thanks in advance.

I think the 3 day-programmes would be good for you. Regarding the question about 5x1, you cannot do 1x5 instead (i think the subject has been up before on the forum).
"For one to press alot, one must press alot, comrade."

waelassad37

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 08:12:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Don't you think that since I'm already on 5 day/week program where I bench, squat and DL 4 of them that the 4 day program would be better. I know it's more linked with the total of one's maxes buthe still I think a 4 day might be better.

Regarding 5x1 and 1x5, I will try to look for older posts on this, but do you know why is not recommended if the volume is the same?  even the weight is typically light  (er) so it looks like a ramp up set to me.  I workout in a busy gym and that kind of setup would be problem as it will take a lot of time...how much rest do you need tryout get between these sets?

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:13:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Don't you think that since I'm already on 5 day/week program where I bench, squat and DL 4 of them that the 4 day program would be better. I know it's more linked with the total of one's maxes buthe still I think a 4 day might be better.

Regarding 5x1 and 1x5, I will try to look for older posts on this, but do you know why is not recommended if the volume is the same?  even the weight is typically light  (er) so it looks like a ramp up set to me.  I workout in a busy gym and that kind of setup would be problem as it will take a lot of time...how much rest do you need tryout get between these sets?

Yep it is linked to your total. well, if you are used to high volume, then you might go for a CMS or the CMS/beginners 1 ( Both of them are really recommendable.  ) - choose the ones that are closest to the numbers of lifts you are doing now. The reason why is linked to your total, is that, if you have a low total, then you will have better progress by doing less than what a guy who has a high total needs to do.

regarding the 5x1, can you give an example from Sheikos programmes where you want to do it?
sets of 1 reps typically only happens with 90% (in which you shouldn't be able to do 5 reps) very rarely (and typically only with 2-4 sets).
typical structure could be:
5x1x50% (1 set of 5)
4x1x60% (1 set of 4 and so on)
3x2x70%
2x5x80%

Sheiko programmes do take a lot of time.

waelassad37

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 04:45:51 AM »
Great, really appreciate your help. I have the Android app, and the workouts don't have the titles you used above. So I have for the 4 day advanced workouts the following names (small load- preparation 1/2/3/competition, medium load-prep 1/2/3/comp, large load 1/2/3/comp).

So I assume I would start with the small or medium load prep 1 and move from this one to 2 then 3 then comp, am I correct in this? is this the right progression? then after I finish comp, should I start them all over again and so on? or should I stick to several cycles of each before moving to the next? Just want to understand the right progression.

Regarding sets and reps, seemingly I got it wrong. Typically (with the majority of routines) when you read 5x1, it will mean 5 sets of 1 rep, whereas seemingly you write it the opposite way. So 2x5 would mean 5 sets of 2 reps and not 2 sets of 5 reps, correct? Again, many many thanks for your help and time.

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 05:30:23 PM »
Great, really appreciate your help. I have the Android app, and the workouts don't have the titles you used above. So I have for the 4 day advanced workouts the following names (small load- preparation 1/2/3/competition, medium load-prep 1/2/3/comp, large load 1/2/3/comp).

So I assume I would start with the small or medium load prep 1 and move from this one to 2 then 3 then comp, am I correct in this? is this the right progression? then after I finish comp, should I start them all over again and so on? or should I stick to several cycles of each before moving to the next? Just want to understand the right progression.

Regarding sets and reps, seemingly I got it wrong. Typically (with the majority of routines) when you read 5x1, it will mean 5 sets of 1 rep, whereas seemingly you write it the opposite way. So 2x5 would mean 5 sets of 2 reps and not 2 sets of 5 reps, correct? Again, many many thanks for your help and time.

Yes, the app should move you through prep 1-3 and then comp. After comp. the app should suggest a new program to you depending on your progress.

Regarding the repxset, I think sheiko is a bit backwards in relation to other programmes (primarily US programmes). A good thing I started out by learning the sheiko way :D

I always remember it on the percentage, if it says 80%, you surely never would do 5 reps as there will (might be) a breakdown in technique. Eventually you could look at the structure I outlined once more. To answer shortly , yes it means 2 reps, 5 sets, weight.

If still confused, take a look in the spreadsheets on this forum, it might help you understand too.

/RB

waelassad37

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 10:45:23 PM »
You are great...not confused at all now. The only issue is to get the appp work in a good way on pressing the dumbell, as it's eratic a bit, I need to do some experimenting with it and I'm sure I'll get it to work. If itt doesn't, I imagine that after advanced small load, I could move to advanced medium and then large load. I guess I could cycle between them later. Many thanks.

One last thing, do you think that lifting wearables could be useful with Sheiko, or since they are more Velocity based they won't be useful. Many thanks again.

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:30:33 AM »
You are great...not confused at all now. The only issue is to get the appp work in a good way on pressing the dumbell, as it's eratic a bit, I need to do some experimenting with it and I'm sure I'll get it to work. If itt doesn't, I imagine that after advanced small load, I could move to advanced medium and then large load. I guess I could cycle between them later. Many thanks.

One last thing, do you think that lifting wearables could be useful with Sheiko, or since they are more Velocity based they won't be useful. Many thanks again.

I don't have it. I just have good old watch to keep track of time. For me, sheiko takes the amount of time it does to get through. There is a lot emphasis on improving technique in sheiko.

waelassad37

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 07:52:23 PM »
Thanks a lot.