December 16, 2019, 08:01:52 AM

Author Topic: Best program for a Master 2 lifter  (Read 2296 times)

lindh

• View Profile
Best program for a Master 2 lifter
« on: December 13, 2016, 06:26:10 PM »
Hi!

I'm 56 years old and I have been working out in the gym since 1979. I would say that it has been more "bodybuilding" than strenght focus - so lower weights, no deadlift nor squats. A lot of machines and 8-12 reps per exercise.

During the last 1.5 years I've started with powerlifting as my son wanted to start. I started with 5*5 and started with Sheiko early this year. First the exel variant and then the Sheiko app. But I haven't noticed much progress the last 6 months. My benchpress haven't improved at all this year and I feel that I need to practice the deadlift more often to learn the optimal movement and build more muscle.

Besides lifting weights I give two spinning classes per week (as instructor) and do a little swimming and running in the summer.

I participated in my first competition a month ago. I'm 1.89 tall, 103kg and got 150kg in Squat, 130kg in Benchpress and 190kg in Deadlift. so pretty weak still.

So far I have used the Intermediate, medium load program which was suggested by the app, but I feel that I need to practice deadlift more than once a week. Also, my recovery is not that good.

Is it ok for someone in my situation to change for the advanced, low load program (4 days per week but fewer sets)?

All input/comments appreciated.

Borje

Wrusst

• View Profile
Re: Best program for a Master 2 lifter
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 03:30:43 PM »
These are my opinions,

if your doing extras such as spinning and so forth the recovery all comes from the same bucket so you might have to use less volume to progress.

Also at your age recovery is also reduced, you can play with low load and see what happens but id also get a hormonal panel done to see if you are deficient in T and make sure you are eating enough in protein and more importantly calories. Also as you age you do become less leucine-sensitive so a bit extra may help you probs be ok at 0.85g per lb or so.

lindh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 05:29:22 PM »
Yes, I have started to test advanced/low volume instead of intermediate/medium volume. Is 4 days instead of 3 (which is supposedly good for protein syntesis and hormone levels) and lower total number of lifts per week (which is probabbly good for decrease recovery - which never has been that good).

When I look back at the last 6 months, the weekly training load has been between 5 and 9 times per week total, but that also includes some yoga (maybe 3 gym, 2 spinning, 2 yoga, 1 swim and 1 run or something similar - it varies between different times of the year).

I'm well aware of the importance of both enough sleep (8-9 hours) and protein (aiming at 2g/kg body weight).

Mostly interested if anyone has any experience from other "older" athletes - what Sheiko program has worked best for them. Really would like to get to 200kg/150kg/250kg in competition... ;-)

As I said - all input/comments very appreciated.

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 03:31:59 PM »
Yes, I have started to test advanced/low volume instead of intermediate/medium volume. Is 4 days instead of 3 (which is supposedly good for protein syntesis and hormone levels) and lower total number of lifts per week (which is probabbly good for decrease recovery - which never has been that good).

When I look back at the last 6 months, the weekly training load has been between 5 and 9 times per week total, but that also includes some yoga (maybe 3 gym, 2 spinning, 2 yoga, 1 swim and 1 run or something similar - it varies between different times of the year).

I'm well aware of the importance of both enough sleep (8-9 hours) and protein (aiming at 2g/kg body weight).

Mostly interested if anyone has any experience from other "older" athletes - what Sheiko program has worked best for them. Really would like to get to 200kg/150kg/250kg in competition... ;-)

As I said - all input/comments very appreciated.

This is highly dependent on how long the athletes have been doing PL and other characteristics. Follow the tables put forth on this forum as the simplest guide. Find your class and choose program thereafter. Remember it is all about technique. If you do not go to a PL club, film it and get feedback on how to improve form.
"For one to press a lot, one must press a lot, comrade."

lindh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 06:22:33 PM »
I have been lifting weights for 38 years, and focusing on powerlifting for 1.5 years.
I'm a member of one of the best PL clubs in Sweden (with lifters like Sofia Loft (VM gold) and Isabella von Weissenberg (VM silver and world record holder in squat), so I do get some good technique help.

Two reasons why I'm considering lowering volume:
1) I'm also a spinning instructor, having 2 classes per week which adds to the exercise load.
2) I'm kind of old - 56 years - and I feel recovery is not improving with age..