February 26, 2020, 03:49:13 PM

Author Topic: Help me find my weakness in deadlifts  (Read 1808 times)

Rodnt

• View Profile
Help me find my weakness in deadlifts
« on: September 12, 2016, 06:31:47 PM »
Hello,

I've been struggling with my deadlift technique for some time now, but every time I think I got it and ramp the weights up - I tend to fall back to my old ways.

I've been doing deadlifts for at least 15 years and never had any issues with injuries or the like. But about a year ago I filmed myself and discovered a terribly rounded lower back in my lift. This got me into reading up on how to deadlift, and I honestly think I've read it all. Big breath into belly, bar close, fight to keep chest up, engage lats, activate glutes by screwing in heels etc.

My issue is that as soon as the weight gets relatively heavy, I fail to keep my lower back arched. So a couple of months ago I lowered the weight significantly and focused on never letting the arch fail. This resulted in lower back pain for the first time ever due to training. I've read about over arching - but how do I know if it's a good arch or too much?

Working at a low weight feels great, but it bugs me that I can't go heavy - I can't even go "quite" heavy! To give you an idea of numbers: I can keep (what I think is) a good technique up to around 100kg. With a slight loose of arch I can probably go up to 140-150. This means that if I am to train with "perfect form", I'm not even getting tired. 100kg doesn't feel heavy at all - I just fail to maintain the arch. I miss that feeling of really having to work to get the bar up!

Today i did "deadlift up to knees" and filmed myself - and if i look closely there is a slight bump in the lumbar section as soon as the plates leaves the floor - I didn't feel this, I just saw it in the video. I'll see if I can manage to upload it in a bit.

I've tried to lower the hip in order to to keep the lower back arched, but that puts the weight back even more - I honestly don't know if ill get 120 off the floor with the low hip - but perhaps thats what I should do anyway? accept lower body weakness and restart with lower hip? I',m so confused and tired of not being able to work on actually getting stronger in the deadlift instead of fiddling around with form...

So what do you think? Where is my weakness? Which accessory work do you recommend?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 07:18:39 PM by Rodnt »

Rodnt

• View Profile
Re: Help me find my weakness in deadlifts
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 07:26:20 PM »

WeakDane

• View Profile
Re: Help me find my weakness in deadlifts
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 06:28:33 PM »
The link doesn't work on my end.

I have struggled a lot with my deadlift over several years. I've learned a lot along the way. Now my technique is not bad. I'll be happy to take a look if you make another video.