September 19, 2019, 08:47:18 PM

Author Topic: Mixing different loading schemes (medium load, large load)  (Read 2516 times)

Mbo

• View Profile
Mixing different loading schemes (medium load, large load)
« on: September 18, 2017, 09:37:23 AM »
Hi,

I am currently doing the intermediate medium load routine. Before I did the small load advanced routine.

My squat and my deadlift are progressing but my bench press has stalled for about a year now. Neither the small load advanced routine, nor the medium load intermediate routine helped to solve this problem. What I can say is that my bench press even regressed since switching to the 3-day routine.

I did not lose significant weight. My bench is far from advanced right now (120 Kg at a bw of about 95 Kg, 110 Kg right now in training)

My question is if it's reasonable to try the large load portion of intermediate routine just for bench, or if I should rather add a 4th day just for bench press, and if so, what percentages would be reasonable to use on that day?
I don't want to change to a full 4-day routine due to time constraints, if anyone wanted to suggest that option. A 4th. day just for bench and some small assistance stuff would be ok though.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:03:46 AM by Mbo »

Mbo

• View Profile
Re: Mixing different loading schemes (medium load, large load)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »
Anyone?

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 01:07:04 PM »
Anyone?

Try uploading a video to show us your technique. It can be really hard to give advise without actually seeing your lifting technique.
"For one to press a lot, one must press a lot, comrade."

Mbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 02:39:48 PM »
This is me failing at 125Kg at a competition in may this year. I hit 120Kg that day which was not a pr.

Leading into that meet i did the small load advanced routine.

https://youtu.be/XMVRZZOHG6g

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 01:11:03 PM »
You have long arms and doesn't look like you hold max grip (correct?).

You need to gain weight, improve arch and then the 3 day program will yield you good increase in bench (and squat + deadlift).

Mbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 07:09:10 PM »
It is the grip-width i'm most comfortable with.
Due to the fact that i benched 120kg at a lower bodyweight before starting Sheiko, i came to the conclusion that it's something with the program that doesn't work for me.
My question was if it's reasonable to add a fourth day or if i should try the large load bench part of the intermediate routine

RuneGlud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 08:23:35 PM »
I agree with the points RussianBear mentions, and can add a few.

It talkes time to master a new grip-width and it will most likely not be comfortable untill you tried it for a month or so, starting with a relative lower weight.

Your left arm is shaking noticeable. Is can indicate several things, most likely weak triceps, lack of thightness or weak stabilisers in shoulder/back area. Probably a combination of these things. This is backed up by the way you receive the handoff, I could be mistaken but you look far from tight in the upper back.

It might be the angle of the camera, but it looks like you have little to no legdrive, this way are no way as thight as you can be.

Combined with RussianBears points this may sound harsh, but it only means that you have so many extra kgs/lbs waiting for you out there.

Fix your technique before worring about 3-4 days or the size of the load.

Doing more work the the "wrong" technique, only takes longer to unlearn later on.

Mbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 08:52:01 PM »
I think this is going nowhere. I don't think that there is only one way to bench and on the other hand i'm not saying that my technique is ideal.

But what everybody in this thread ignores is the fact that my bench got weaker since starting sheiko.
Sheiko works for my squat and my deadlift, so i want to keep doing it. But it does not work for my bench!

So I want to modify to fit my needs. ::)

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 09:38:16 PM »
I think this is going nowhere. I don't think that there is only one way to bench and on the other hand i'm not saying that my technique is ideal.

But what everybody in this thread ignores is the fact that my bench got weaker since starting sheiko.
Sheiko works for my squat and my deadlift, so i want to keep doing it. But it does not work for my bench!

Is the grip width due to shoulder issue? You are benching a lot with triceps and triceps will never be stronger than chest muscles.

In short, no, adding another day to bad technique is not going to improve your bench. Please remember, that good technique and improving upon it is one of the foundations of Sheiko.

RuneGlud

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 09:44:12 PM »

Again, not to be harsh, but my honest opinion:

Maybe it's going nowhere because you dont get the answer you where hoping to get. No problem, I'll give you that answer now.

You can absolutely ad an extra day or do more volume for the bench, I have personally benched 5 times a week for the last 4-5 months, with good results.
The reason I did not give you that answer up front, is that I dont believe that this should be your main focus right now (I could of cause also be wrong).

Also, no two persons lift with the same technique I agree, but there are general guidelines to improve leverage an muscleactivation.

I dont know why you got weaker at bench, maybe the load is not correct for you, maybe it need to be higher or lower, maybe the avg. intensity needs to be higher or lower, I dont know.

Mbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 10:01:18 AM »
I bench that way because it feels most natural to my shoulders. If I go wider I get shoulder pain. I always more or less benched with that grip width and want to keep it that way.

C'mon folks, don't be so narrowminded, there is no program that works the same for everyone.

I checked and figured out that benching volume was higher in the small load advanced routine. So how should I incorporate more benching volume into the 3day routine?

And if you don't know the answer... where can I learn more about modifying Sheiko routines if not in this forum?

Thanks

Goliath23

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »
looks like you are looking for an easy magical fix. Everybody is mentioning great points that you simply disregard.

Sorry to say but if you are stuck at a 120kg bench you have serious issues that no program will fix.

Wide grip likely hurts because you don't know how to do it. This grip feels good because it's light weight.

Best of luck. I don't know anywhere that suggests modifying sheiko workload unless you do a bench only program. That being said there are some modifications that you can do to the assistance work. I personally pause at least the first and last rep of every set like I'm doing a comp bench because I also have long arms and the bottom is always the hardest.

Mbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 11:19:52 AM »
 ;D