June 18, 2018, 09:07:07 AM

Author Topic: Squat-form critique - Short video 2x130kg lowbar squat.  (Read 741 times)

RL

• View Profile
Squat-form critique - Short video 2x130kg lowbar squat.
« on: November 16, 2017, 10:56:24 PM »
Hi there.

I'm currently on the Intermediate (Small Load) Comp. Cycle, using the App.
I've been using the spreadsheet form-sheiko-examples earlier and have also tried to perform the various movements during my training as if it were in a competition. I'm also trying my best to keep decent form at all times. Although I know I probably have heaps of flaws and errors still.

So, I present to you a poorly filmed squat-shoot from todays workout. Please ignore the annoying music in the background.

Anyway.
2x130kg lowbar-squat. My bodyweight is around 72kg at the moment (if that matters). I do know I go far beyond the point I "need" to go to get a "comp. accepted lift". I will try to make adjustments so I'll be able to go only to the required depth.

Any constructive critizism would be most welcome.

https://youtu.be/_JekO_O5JhI

Elysium

• View Profile
Re: Squat-form critique - Short video 2x130kg lowbar squat.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 11:55:20 PM »
I think you lose tightness on your lower back and you have butt-wink, also what's up with the pause? were you doing paused squats on the bottom?

RL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
Hi, and thanks for commenting.

I don't "lose" tightness(that I notice atleast).
I do however go a fair bit "too low" which i mentioned in my original post, which in turn cause "butt wink". I don't think butt wink in itself is dangerous or anything, but it isn't very efficient when it comes to lifting more weight either.

I always do paused squats, bench and deadlifts. I feel that it helps me during my 1RM's atleast confidence-wise. I also feel that it helps my form doing it this way(except for the depth). If this is the "correct" way of doing things or not, I'm not sure but I really improved my strength in the bottom of the lift this way.

Goliath23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 10:41:20 AM »
You have many things to work on. Its a little bit hard to critique such an easy lift would have been more beneficial to see something above 90% ideally 95% without form break down.

Your walkout is not efficient. You walk out to far and you are not tight throughout. I see you breathing while walking out. I presume its likely because the weight is so light but I would make it a habit to walk out the same every time.

The butt wink is very pronounced like you already know. I find a quick fix is to push your knees out more. It looks like you are tracking your knees exclusively forward but its hard to tell from the side angle. I dont know how wide your stance is but you look like you are trying to olympic squat and failing to load the posterior chain. This may be because the weight is very light. The butt wink is also pronounced because of the lack of tightness and the lack of loading the posterior chain. Its why you do that final butt wink dip to sink in your hamstrings.

I would ditch the pause squats atleast for now then maybe limited later on. The squat is not a paused movement and you are picking up bad habits like sitting on your hamstrings to make the movement easier. When you get to a real squat you will likely be weaker or atleast weaker than you should be because you wont be in the optimal position to perform a squat, you will be in the optimal paused squat position instead.

I would also look at your grip. It looks very easy for you to get into position leading me to believe that you can grab the bar narrower and create better back tightness.