December 12, 2017, 01:48:26 AM

Author Topic: Deadlifts too heavy  (Read 378 times)

padrino

• View Profile
Deadlifts too heavy
« on: November 15, 2017, 06:13:08 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am currently doing the advanced medium load in the app.

Do you guys ever experienced that deadlifts are just too hard in sheiko programming or general programming? I am a conventional deadlifter and I always find myself having a form breakdown (no matter which variation) with deadlifts in the given percentages. The 2nd round of deadlifts in a workout is even worse. But I do not fail reps. Squat and Bench never feel that hard and I can maintain good technique.

I also experienced this in the past with different programming styles. But in competition it's always my best lift and I PR it everytime with good technique, no matter how bad the prep with deadlifts goes. It even went up when I didn't do them for a few weeks and just upped my squat.

Do you recommend to adjust the percentage for deadlifts or doing them less like advanced small load?

Ranvir

• View Profile
Re: Deadlifts too heavy
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 05:52:40 PM »
Maybe your max is much higher than mine but I personally find the deadlift work to be to little, sometimes I even add a few sets of squats on deadlift days because it feels to easy. Are you sure the max you have set in the app is correct, you might have done a large jump from a smaller max to a much larger max that could also be another reason?

CarbedUp_VeganMuscle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 01:53:49 AM »
You might just be becoming too fatigued.  Some people don’t hold up to volume as well. Especially if you have a long torso and pull conventional.  This is also true for heavier lifters, and lifters that otherwise less a daily sedentary lifestyle.  You might try dropping to the advanced small load if its been an ongoing problem. If it is only affecting your deadlift though then you might just reduce your deadlift max by 5% when using the app. But when you get to competition cycles you’ll have to remember to attempt heavier weights for deadlift on the testing days.

You also might try switching to deadlifting sumo if you don’t already. It wouldn’t have to be a permanent change, but some people find that when they switch deadlifting styles for s while they often carry over to each other. Sumo deadlift places a bit less stress on the lower back and is generally easier to train more frequently for people with Longer torsos.  I personally just hate sumo, so I don’t do that, but it’s still a possibility.

CarbedUp_VeganMuscle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 02:51:42 AM »
When I say, “you might try,” I mean 1 of those suggestions, not all of them.

25centsquat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 08:35:18 AM »
I experienced this at first as well. Also a conventional deadlifter. Here is what I did. Take it with a grain of salt... I'm no pro, I just did what worked for me.

I left my training max the same. I focused on form A LOT. I really tried to remind myself to keep a tight back/lat activation. IF I FOUND BREAKDOWN WAS TOO MUCH: I lowered the weight in that exercise by 10lbs, but I DID NOT change my training max. Eventually, I got used to it and now, I have no issues. If you are just starting the program, you need to give your body time to adjust... You also need to remember that most of the prescribed deadlift work are VARIATIONS. They are not the comp lift. You are supposed to struggle with variations because they put you in compromised positions.

Also, DON'T do exercises that you find little carry over with. I stopped doing block pulls altogether because I find it doesn't carry over much to my deadlift. If block pulls are programmed, I do deadlift to knees instead. I find, at least for conventional, I get the most carry over with variations that go through the full range of motion. Paused deadlifts/deficits/etc.

Again, take this with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:37:13 AM by 25centsquat »

padrino

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 09:31:58 PM »
Thanks guys for all the answers.

Yes its just the deadlift, all the others feel just fine and I can maintain good technique. But as I said I have this problem with other programming styles as well. I maybe just lower my max. On meet day my deadlift always goes well so I should not worry about it too much.