October 24, 2017, 07:08:20 AM

Author Topic: Weight used for standing goodmornings  (Read 376 times)

ShiftySheep

• View Profile
Weight used for standing goodmornings
« on: August 03, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »
Hello there, today I swiched back to using Sheiko, after having 2 years off from training. I've always had a stronger deadlift than squat and when I used the spreadsheets in the past, goodmornings never had a weight prescribed, so I just went by feel, but now I'm using the android app and the goodmorning have a weight prescribed to them and it's a percentage of my deadlift.

As I said, my deadlift is much stronger than my squat, at my best I pulled 220kg conventional and squatted 140kg and now my deadlift is back at 197.5kg and 120kg squat, so putting 75% of my of my deadlift 148kg (which is more than I can squat) on my back and doing a goodmorings just seems like madness. Also i've only ever trained goodmornings while running Sheiko over two years ago and I used to just go with about 50% of my squat max, today I used 60kg and definitely felt it.

I was just wondering if 75% of deadlift weight was normally what's programmed and what to do if like in my case this is much more than you normally put on your back?

Is 75% deadlift for goodmornings for people who can squat more than they deadlift?

Any advice welcome.

Chreiz

• View Profile
Re: Weight used for standing goodmornings
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 12:20:25 PM »
Just do a weight that you can do for 5 reps, with a few reps in the tank. If it goes easy add 5 kg next time.

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 03:02:31 PM »
It should be 75% of your estimated good morning max, not 75% of your deadlift max. So you do 5 reps and you'll still have a few left in the tank, as Chreiz said.

ShiftySheep

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 12:31:56 PM »
I've never maxed out on standing goodmorings, so have no idea what my max is. The app never asks what your max is for the goodmorning, it's definitely using my deadlift max to come up with the wieght, not sure if that's the way it's intended by Sheiko or if it's an oversite, but I'll just start light and add weight over the weeks.

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 08:45:34 PM »
Do what Chreiz said or the last part of what Robert said if you don't have any maxes :)
"For one to press a lot, one must press a lot, comrade."