June 29, 2017, 03:39:45 PM

Author Topic: Sheiko on DB Bench Press?  (Read 189 times)

Axelrod

• View Profile
Sheiko on DB Bench Press?
« on: June 15, 2017, 05:32:57 AM »
Hello,

I only have access to dumbbells up to 100lb each. My max is just 1 rep at that weight. I've been using the 3-day intermediate program (the prep) and it's working very well. However I will soon be to the point where I would need dumbbells over 100 pounds, which I can't get right now.

Anyone have any ideas on how I could program the dumbbells to work with progressively higher reps with the 100's (and ultimately build to 8-10?). I would want to use a Sheiko type approach but don't know how to do it where I would work with max effort sets of 3-6 instead of the normal high intensity doubles and singles

I've see the demo video and I know Sheiko will program work like 5x10 DB bench normally

Any ideas at all would be appreciated. I have found the pyramid approach very effective but don't know how it would wrk when it normally goes to 2x2 and I want to work with some close to maximal sets of 3+ reps

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sheiko on DB Bench Press?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 09:59:09 AM »
just an idea: If you have some bands/elastics you can add those around the DB with plates for extra kilos.
"For one to press alot, one must press alot, comrade."

Chreiz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »
I honestly do not understand at all what your goal is.

Axelrod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 04:41:48 PM »
I'm a rock climber. Being strong at bench press translates to my ability to climb in some ways.

I also enjoy bench pressing a lot and it fits into my general goals as a strength trainee

I will move to barbell bench when my shoulder can take it and I find a training partner

My goal right now is to progress from the 100'sx1 to the 100's x5. As there are no dumbbells over 100, rather than my goal being say the 110'sx2, I want to lift the 100's for progressively higher reps.

Normally I would use Sheiko's program and pyramid once a week to heavy doubles. However I am not sure if this is appropriate for training with dumbbells. Furthermore, what do I do when my max 85-90% 3x2 calls for dumbbells larger than 100? I would need new programming instead.

Does Sheiko's barbell bench programming directly translate to working with dumbbells?

Chreiz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »
I'm a rock climber. Being strong at bench press translates to my ability to climb in some ways.

I also enjoy bench pressing a lot and it fits into my general goals as a strength trainee

I will move to barbell bench when my shoulder can take it and I find a training partner

My goal right now is to progress from the 100'sx1 to the 100's x5. As there are no dumbbells over 100, rather than my goal being say the 110'sx2, I want to lift the 100's for progressively higher reps.

Normally I would use Sheiko's program and pyramid once a week to heavy doubles. However I am not sure if this is appropriate for training with dumbbells. Furthermore, what do I do when my max 85-90% 3x2 calls for dumbbells larger than 100? I would need new programming instead.

Does Sheiko's barbell bench programming directly translate to working with dumbbells?

Mow I understand, you want to do dumbell bench as a main lift. I guess you could if you know your 1RM with dumbells. But if you don't have big enough dumbells it is hard. Maybe you could attach a small plate on them somehow when weight >100 lbs.

Axelrod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 02:36:48 PM »
Yes

OK the bands idea should solve the weight problem

Does anyone know if the bench programming can directly translate to DB bench?

Or is wear and tear on volume with heavy DB too high, or do other issues make this a bad idea or require a change in programming?