December 11, 2017, 08:35:55 AM

Author Topic: how to properly modify comp cycle if not competing  (Read 419 times)

Rebelstrike

• View Profile
how to properly modify comp cycle if not competing
« on: September 29, 2017, 10:15:21 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm doing the under 80kg program and have now just got to the comp cycle.  I finished the skill test on day 2 and was wondering what will be the best approach if I'm not competing. From reading around, I understand my options are:
- finish the comp cycle as written, do a mock meet at the end
- just finish week 1 then use your new max to start another cycle

For people here that don't compete, what do you guys normally do ? Is there any benefit to finishing the cycle as written and try to max out again in 3 weeks? If I just finish week 1 then start a new prep cycle, is there any need to deload at all?

Sorry for the noob question, advice appreciated!

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: how to properly modify comp cycle if not competing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 02:55:05 PM »
I initially thought everyone should complete the cycles as written. Then I was persuaded that you can skip the comp cycle. But now I'm back to thinking you should run the full cycles with a mock meet at the end. That extended period of deloading you get in the comp cycle is really good for resetting and getting ready for the next loading period.

Stephen Brindle

• View Profile
    • Training Blog
Re: how to properly modify comp cycle if not competing
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 11:04:49 PM »
I agree with Robert. I like doing a mock meet. I was planning on doing a meet in December but the meet got filled up early and I am going to just do a mock meet in a few weeks so I know what my new maxes are and also to see if my previous 12 week Sheiko programming plan was a successful one. From what I have read, Sheiko has said that if a program works the first time it can then be repeated.