November 23, 2017, 08:25:56 AM

Author Topic: Advanced, Medium Load Comp Cycle Week 4 - Feeling fatigued. Normal?  (Read 1032 times)

Leggio

• View Profile
Hi All,

Doing my first ever run through of the Advanced, Medium Load programming, and am currently on the Comp Cycle after completing the three Prep Cycles. It's my first time running an Advanced Sheiko cycle.

I'm now on Week 4 on the Comp Cycle and man am I feeling beat up. Lifts feel heavier, body hurts, and form feels sloppier. I'm guessing this isn't totally unusual, and why the programming starts to deload and taper off before the meet, but I just wanted to check and make sure. Has anyone felt this way towards the end of their first Advanced Sheiko cycle? Hoping that with lighter weeks for 4 and 5, I'll be feeling great for my mock meet, and that it's NOT a bad sign that things are feeling heavy at this point as I start to deload.

In case it's helpful, below is my full history with Sheiko, and the one and only pure powerlifting program I've ever done. Let me know if you think I'm pacing things appropriately for someone of my age and skill level, and if taking the breaks and picking up where I am seems correct. 

Age 33. Weight 192lbs.

Late August 2016:
Start Intermediate, Medium Load program. My first ever dedicated powerlifting program. Preprogram PRs: 405, 225, 430

Mid November 2016:
End Intermediate, Medium Load program. Post program PRs: 435, 235, 450

:::Took One Week Off:::

Late November 2016:
Start Advanced, Medium Load program.

Mid February 2017:
Advanced Medium Load, Prep Cycle III, Week 2. Test week. New PRs: 445, 245, 475

:::Took week off for vacation:::

Late February 2017:
Picked up Program where left off, starting at Advanced, Medium Load, Prep Cycle III, Week 3.

April 21, 2017:
Mock Meet Schedualed

My plan is to take another week off after my mock meet on 4/21, then come back and run the Advanced, Medium Load Prep Cycle III, Weeks 3-5, then the full Advanced, Medium Load Comp Cycle with a 6/23 schedualed mock meet. After 6/23, I'll leave for 10 days on vacation again.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 05:24:32 PM by Leggio »

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced, Medium Load Comp Cycle Week 4 - Feeling fatigued. Normal?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:35:55 PM »
Hi All,

Doing my first ever run through of the Advanced, Medium Load programming, and am currently on the Comp Cycle after completing the three Prep Cycles. It's my first time running an Advanced Sheiko cycle.

I'm now on Week 4 on the Comp Cycle and man am I feeling beat up. Lifts feel heavier, body hurts, and form feels sloppier. I'm guessing this isn't totally unusual, and why the programming starts to deload and taper off before the meet, but I just wanted to check and make sure. Has anyone felt this way towards the end of their first Advanced Sheiko cycle? Hoping that with lighter weeks for 4 and 5, I'll be feeling great for my mock meet, and that it's NOT a bad sign that things are feeling heavy at this point as I start to deload.

In case it's helpful, below is my full history with Sheiko, and the one and only pure powerlifting program I've ever done. Let me know if you think I'm pacing things appropriately for someone of my age and skill level, and if taking the breaks and picking up where I am seems correct. 

Age 33. Weight 192lbs.

Late August 2016:
Start Intermediate, Medium Load program. My first ever dedicated powerlifting program. Preprogram PRs: 405, 225, 430

Mid November 2016:
End Intermediate, Medium Load program. Post program PRs: 435, 235, 450

:::Took One Week Off:::

Late November 2016:
Start Advanced, Medium Load program.

Mid February 2017:
Advanced Medium Load, Prep Cycle III, Week 2. Test week. New PRs: 445, 245, 475

:::Took week off for vacation:::

Late February 2017:
Picked up Program where left off, starting at Advanced, Medium Load, Prep Cycle III, Week 3.

April 21, 2017:
Mock Meet Schedualed

My plan is to take another week off after my mock meet on 4/21, then come back and run the Advanced, Medium Load Prep Cycle III, Weeks 3-5, then the full Advanced, Medium Load Comp Cycle with a 6/23 schedualed mock meet. After 6/23, I'll leave for 10 days on vacation again.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

I would not have chosen to do vacations between the prep cycles  ::)

Besides that, some people experience overreaching with sheiko programs. This is a sign of too much volume.
But since you only experience it now in the comp. cycle (correct me if i am wrong) I would stick to the program. The last few weeks before comp. date is low on volume - so you should be able to recover from it.

What is your height? Are you in the right weight class? Perhaps you should switch to advanced 'small load' or something that is not advanced but has more volume for next cycle.
"For one to press a lot, one must press a lot, comrade."

Leggio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:59:00 PM »
Appreciate the response!

My wife is a teacher with pre-scheduled weeks off. I'm 33, and taking this up essentially as a hobby (albeit an eight-plus hour a week hobby). It's already keeping me away from home more than she would like, so it's kind of tough for me to say her to we have to schedule vacations around my weightlifting programming  ;D. That being said, I can absolutely adjust my programming around our trips (usually three times a year: mid-February, Late June/Early July, and August). Next time, if I have to take a week off, would you recommend easing back into it with some lighter weeks before going back to the normal routine, or just plan on ending my Comp Cycles before I take a week off?

You are correct, this is the first time I've said to myself in the program "Everything feels heavier". That's why I'm glad that it's coinciding with the deload. It feels nessecary.

I'm 5'5". I was 185 before starting Sheiko in August. I was 165lbs in 2012 before I started any kind of weightlifting or serious exercise program, and all the weight has come on in a positive way since then. I seem to have settled around 192 now. I'm quite careful about my diet and what I eat (for the most part, my weekday meals come from www.kettlebellkitchen.com), so this seems to be a natural place for my body to be.

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 12:31:47 PM »
Appreciate the response!

My wife is a teacher with pre-scheduled weeks off. I'm 33, and taking this up essentially as a hobby (albeit an eight-plus hour a week hobby). It's already keeping me away from home more than she would like, so it's kind of tough for me to say her to we have to schedule vacations around my weightlifting programming  ;D. That being said, I can absolutely adjust my programming around our trips (usually three times a year: mid-February, Late June/Early July, and August). Next time, if I have to take a week off, would you recommend easing back into it with some lighter weeks before going back to the normal routine, or just plan on ending my Comp Cycles before I take a week off?

You are correct, this is the first time I've said to myself in the program "Everything feels heavier". That's why I'm glad that it's coinciding with the deload. It feels nessecary.

I'm 5'5". I was 185 before starting Sheiko in August. I was 165lbs in 2012 before I started any kind of weightlifting or serious exercise program, and all the weight has come on in a positive way since then. I seem to have settled around 192 now. I'm quite careful about my diet and what I eat (for the most part, my weekday meals come from www.kettlebellkitchen.com), so this seems to be a natural place for my body to be.

I knew there were system to the madness (so to speak). I would say enjoy the holidays and do a light week upon returning to gym. For inspiration read what Sheiko have written about being sick and use that for inspiration. Can be found at sheiko.program.ru

Also, have you considered just doing 3 days a week? doesn't take as much tall on time at home and you also get good results with that...

Leggio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 01:03:36 AM »
Agppreciate the response! I did read what he read about being sick, but thought a break after the test week would feel more "natural". The first week back was rough, especially with the new, heavier weight loads, but I adapted quickly after that.

I like the technical aspect of the four day a week program, and I feel that's where my weaknesses really lie at the moment: with technique. Lifts with the pauses and boards really seem to help that. A whole lot of sleep helps as well!

Again, appreciate the responses. Looking forward to my mock meet next week.

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 02:15:10 PM »
Agppreciate the response! I did read what he read about being sick, but thought a break after the test week would feel more "natural". The first week back was rough, especially with the new, heavier weight loads, but I adapted quickly after that.

I like the technical aspect of the four day a week program, and I feel that's where my weaknesses really lie at the moment: with technique. Lifts with the pauses and boards really seem to help that. A whole lot of sleep helps as well!

Again, appreciate the responses. Looking forward to my mock meet next week.

No problem. I am here to help.

Can you be more specific which aspect(s) you like? Or is it just the fact that you want to be in the gym 4 days a week?

I am asking because technique changes my better be implemented at lower level (less frequency). Of course it is a continuous struggle regardsless of level  8) ;D

Would still recommend a lighter week, so it doesn't get too much.

Wish you luck at the mock meet.

Leggio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 07:53:17 AM »
I like the more technical lifts in the training program. I.e.: Deadlifts with pauses and with chains, and bench pressing with chains and with boards. And yes, I do just like the idea of training four days a week.  ;D

I felt GREAT during my test week in Prep Cycle III, and hit PRs in all three lifts.  I actually ended up feeling superb and well rested going into my mock meet after the tapering off. No pain, and weights felt light in my warmups leading up to my attempts. That being said, the mock meet went OK. Not terrible, not great, just OK.

I went 5/9. 2/3 squat, 2/3 bench, 1/3 deadlift. I hit the PRs I hit during my test week in February on my squat and bench (particularly happy I could hit the squat again - as that was a true 100% effort back in February). I missed my deadlift attempt at 100%, but I'm fairly certain that was just due to pure exhaustion at that point. (This was only my second mock meet ever, and I really need to remember to eat more before. I was starving halfway through). Back during my test week in February it seemed like I had more room to go up on both my bench and deadlift, so more disappointed I didn't there.

So here's my plan at this point: I'm going away again for 10 days the end of June. I was going to take the first half of the upcoming week off, then pick up the Advanced, Medium Load Prep Cycle III at the end of the upcoming week right after its two test days. I can run it again through the Comp Cycle which will end with another mock meet right before I leave in June.

Would you say that seems to make sense from here until June?

Thanks again for all the help!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:56:38 AM by Leggio »

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 04:04:44 PM »
You should be able to modify other programs to have those variations that really are good for you (and perhaps that you find funny).

How many weeks of gym will that be in total before you going away in june?

Leggio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 07:51:32 PM »
8.5 weeks.

The other thought that I had was to count backwards from the test week in Prep Cycle III and start from there. I felt great and hit all my PRs during the test week in Prep Cycle III, and my lifts felt better than they did at the mock meet at the end of the Comp Cycle.

It would also give me a chance to get more work and volume in at my current level, and test them on separate days, rather than worrying about having to deload and taper off for a mock meet again.

What are your thoughts on that? Again, appreciate all the help!