September 26, 2021, 12:55:42 AM

Author Topic: Deadlifting  (Read 2846 times)

georgeslaraque

• View Profile
Deadlifting
« on: March 13, 2015, 11:24:36 PM »
I currently Sumo Deadlift, and have always deadlifted this way. 

The question I have, I have fairly short arms (and not all that tall either), would it be better to try Conv. as opposed to Sumo?

Anyone with short arms notice a diff. between the two?

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Deadlifting
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 11:22:47 AM »
I think there are several other potential factors that will come into play before the issue rests on the length of one's arms. I'd say just try it out for a bit and see how it goes.

georgeslaraque

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 12:10:28 AM »
I think there are several other potential factors that will come into play before the issue rests on the length of one's arms. I'd say just try it out for a bit and see how it goes.

I fully understand that.  I'm thinking/looking for anyway to make the deadlift "easier", if you will.  I know certain body frames are easier for folks on certain lifts.  I'm looking for any advantage I can in this particular lift.

Besides of course getting stronger. :)

Robert Frederick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 05:52:54 AM »
I've actually just finished going over some data on the relationships between body segment lengths and lift results. The conclusion - no relation. Height affects segments lengths and one lift result ties in with other lift results but the two groups of numbers are totally independent. As surprising as that is I guess it shows that people who do continue to lift find a way to balance things out one way or another and that there are more significant contributors to lift results to consider.

How about going over videos of your lifts frame by frame to look for technical weaknesses that you might be able to correct with special exercises? That's usually one of the first things I try.