November 23, 2017, 08:26:57 AM

Author Topic: Training Log - AML - USAPL M83kg Jr Road to Collegiate Nationals  (Read 154 times)

acv49

• View Profile
Training Log - AML - USAPL M83kg Jr Road to Collegiate Nationals
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:34:18 AM »
Hello all,

This is my first post on these forums. I've only recently hopped on the sheiko train - finished up Intermediate Medium Load Prep 1 this past friday and resulted in a 5lb bench PR of 225 (weak pressing) and a 20lb deadlift PR of 475 (beltless w/straps), and probably had 235 and 500 respectively but I'll save it for another time. My squat did not change from 405, or at least it didn't reflect on my impromtu test day. Benching was fairly easy, so I might inflate my max to 235lbs on the app and leave the rest as is.

Anyway, this is going to be my training log for my preparation for collegiate nationals. My goals are to total at minimum 1170lbs/530kg, which would qualify me for the Jr. 83kg division of Raw Nationals. However it would be preferable to total 570kg to qualify for the open division.

I start the full Advanced Medium Load program tomorrow, Monday November 13, using the template from the sheiko app. I'll probably change any board pressing to pin press and chain work to bench with a pause on the way up. Similarly any deadlifts with change will probably be subbed for rack pulls. Additionally I'll throw in some extra ab and back work, as well as prehab and rehab work for shoulders, arms, and some other areas.

Lain

• View Profile
Re: Training Log - AML - USAPL M83kg Jr Road to Collegiate Nationals
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 11:09:18 AM »
welcome! Looking forward to reading your log :)
"Slavs' genes very stronk. Very stronk!"

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 10:54:01 PM »
Always nice with new lifters here! Looking forward to follow your progress! :)
"For one to press a lot, one must press a lot, comrade."

acv49

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 04:12:53 AM »
Thanks for the welcome :-)

Monday November 13, 2017

AML Prep 1

W1D1

Front Squat: 3x4x225

Bench Press: 4x2x175

Back Squat: 4x2x315

DB Bench: 4x8x40

Pull-ups: 6x6xBW

EZ Bar Curls: 2x10x30;15x20

Leg Raises: 3x10

—————————

Today was a fairy easy introduction to the new cycle. I ended up bumping my estimated 1RM on back squats to 420lbs, mostly so I could use a smaller number of plates for my working sets. For the last 3 weeks I’ve been using my Nike metcon 2s for all my activity and today I switched to Romaleos, noticed that my feet felt cramped and had to loosen up the whole shoe. Front squats moved very well for not having done them in a while, while back squats could’ve gone a little better but I ended up using a rack that was a little too high for me to comfortable unrack and rerack from.

Bench Press also left plenty of reps in reserve. Easy work, but I’m anticipating the fatigue accumulating over time.

I visited a new gym for this session. Unlike my LA fitness, this one seems to have very dedicated equipment towards hardcore bodybuilding and powerlifting. Saw many different bars, chains, bands, a mobility, a deadlift platform, Hyper and I think a reverse hyper as well. I liked the crowd as well, no BSing and the older man next to me was squatting 315 for a few reps with ease. Might as well have push pressed it.

I noticed better control on front squats while facing the mirror as well, as oppose to when I face away from it with backsquats, which is the opposite of what I’ve been experiencing as of late. May use be mirror to monitor technique for a little, then switch back when I feel comfortable again.

acv49

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 05:33:06 AM »
Didn't get a chance to update on wednesday so here are two sessions in one

Wednesday November 15, 2017

AML Prep 1

W1D2

Deadlift Pause at Knee: 4x3x335

Bench Press: 165x3/5/7/4/6/8

Deadlift Pause above Knee: 4x2x355

EZ Bar Row: 4x6x110

Standing Good Morning: 5x5x175

Tricep Pushdown: 3x12x30

-------------------------------------------

First time doing paused deadlifts with meaningful weight. Ended up tearing a callous on my right hand even though I was using straps, fortunately it was on the very last set so it didn't get any worse. However, I couldn't use much weight with rows as a result. Bench pyramid was also fairly easy.

------------------------------------------------------------

Friday November 17, 2017

AML Prep 1

W1D3

Bench Press: 1x3x175;3x3x185

Back Squat w/Pause going down (above parallel): 4x3x295

Pin Press: 2x3x190; 3x2x200

DB Bench: 4x8x40

Pull-ups: 5x5xBW

Hammer Curls: 4x12x17.5

Hyperextensions: 4x8x25

--------------------------------

Squats with pauses above parallel were really interesting, I like them. The next time they appear I'll slow the descent phase down further and add another brief pause at the bottom :-) I meant to do board pressing today but I did not have a board, so I used the power rack to pin press. Honestly felt much better than the normal benches at my LA Fitness, but it's not a very feasible method of benching since most people squat there.

acv49

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 05:35:03 AM »
I have an instagram account that I upload training footage fairly frequently (trying to do it a little less but it's tempting lol)

https://www.instagram.com/augustus_lifts/

If anyone wishes to check it out.

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 11:08:48 AM »
I have an instagram account that I upload training footage fairly frequently (trying to do it a little less but it's tempting lol)

https://www.instagram.com/augustus_lifts/

If anyone wishes to check it out.

Cool! Will definitely check that from time to time :)

acv49

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 04:50:35 AM »
Saturday November 18, 2017

AML Prep 1

W1D4

Deficit Deadlift: 4x2x285

Incline Bench: 1x3x125; 3x3x135

Rack Pull below Knee: 355x3/2; 405x2/1; 315x4

Dips: 5x4xBW

Leg Press: 5x5x210

Reverse Hyper: 4x8xBW

Tricep push-down: 3x12x17.5

Machine Cable Row: 4x8x90

------------------------------------------

My grip still isn't 100% after tearing my callous on wednesday. Rack pulls even with straps were difficult since the bar kept rolling and loosening up the straps and positions felt weak, so my last set of 405x2 I subbed out with 315x4 to get the volume in.

Is there any set time that should indicate one should move up in weight? For my incline bench I took under 45 seconds per set and still had like 4 RIR even after raising it 10lbs. Feel like I should move up enough to need 2-3 minutes at least.

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 12:09:10 PM »
No time set. I move up in weight as I feel on the given day. If I feel stronger I have shorter rest on lighter sets.

acv49

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 05:46:17 AM »
Sounds fair, guess I should consider myself lucky to get the prescribed sets done in shorter amounts of time. Less time taken to complete all the work = getting stronger/capable of much more.

acv49

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 03:20:44 AM »
Monday November 20, 2017

AML Prep 1

W2D1

Back Squat: 5x2x335lbs | 3 RIR each

Bench Press: 1x2x195; 3x2x200; 1x2x205 | 4 RIR

French Press: 5x6x50lbs | 3-4 RIR

DB Bench: 4x10x40

Pull-ups: 4x6xBW

Hypers: 1x8x25; 3x8x45

Video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BbvHWflF5pX/?taken-by=augustus_lifts
——————————

Very good day of lifting. Squats progressed to and through working sets very fast. Reps were more controlled and felt better, did a little pause on the last rep of set 5.  Bench felt really good too, again around under 2 minutes of rest with plenty of reps in reserve. I’m a weak presser because I neglected training it in favor of squats and pulls and the Olympic lifts, but it’s nice to be only 20lbs off my true max and doing very easy paused doubles. I expect a big PR come meet day 22 weeks from now.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:44:15 AM by acv49 »

acv49

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »
Wednesday November 22nd, 2017

AML Prep 1

W2D2

Bench Press: 5x3x165lbs | 5+ RIR each (forgot I needed chains for this...wasn’t gonna get any at LA so just paused each rep and used max effort)

Deadlift Paused Below Knee 5x2x355lbs | 2 RIR each (mixed first set, straps last 4)

Deltoids (lat Raises): 5x6x10 | 4ROR

EZ Bar curl: 4x10x20

Leg Press: 6x285;285;375;375;465

Farmer walks: 4x8x70lbs (8 steps each leg forward, 8 steps back)

———————-

Woke up early to get this one done and have plenty of free time to do other things like take my dad to the airport and grocery shopping and whatnot. Forgot that I had chains scheduled for bench today but there’s no way I would’ve been able to do it at an LA fitness. For the future I’ll decide if I want to pause midway up or just exert maximal effort in place of chains.

Deadlifts were fine, decided to use straps instead of relying on grip because it would’ve allowed me to control the descent better. Also because I noticed some PTs in the area and last time I deadlifted heavy two called me out for being too loud and “damaging” the weight and the floor.

Leg press I was actually suppose to do 195 for a few sets of 6, but I ended up working in with someone who was adding more plates so I just went with the flow. Wasn’t that challenging to be frank, but I’ll stretch and massage extra for the next session.

Haven’t done farmers walks in a long time. Went straight for the 70s since I felt that’s a fair place to start with espectacular to my strength. Grip Strength really is a weakness so I figured this would a good exercise to target both core and grip.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:06:56 PM by acv49 »