November 23, 2017, 08:14:24 AM

Author Topic: Which Program to Run Next?  (Read 155 times)

adamsz

• View Profile
Which Program to Run Next?
« on: November 09, 2017, 04:09:59 AM »
I am a push-pull lifter and actually use the squat programming from the app for my deadlift, and completely skip the actual deadlift portion of the program. So Monday I deadlift/bench, wed I bench, and Friday I deadlift/bench.

After the completion of my last training block, I am not sure how to proceed.

March - May: Intermediate Small Load Program (running squat portion of the program on deadlifts)
Max Inputs: Bench Press: 315 Squat: 525
Result: Bench Press: 380 Deadlift: 585

June- Oct: Intermediate Medium Load Program (repeated portions of the program to peak for an event in early October) (running squat portion of the program on deadlifts)

Max Inputs: Bench Press: 345 Squat: 545
Results: Bench Press: 380 Deadlift: 650

Sheiko recently posted this regarding changing programs:

"If a program consisting of 10-12 weeks gave a good gain in each lift, say +10 kg (22lbs) and more, then I recommend this program to repeat. You just have to use new maxes. You will experience some difficulties due to higher weights during first 2 weeks. Don't worry, just endure a little bit. In two weeks your body will adapt to the new load. If my athlete improves his maximum by 15-20kg (33-44lbs) at the test in the gym, then I increase his maximum by only 10kg. If I see that the athlete has already adapted to the new weights and work with 80% with no problem, then we increase maxes again by 5-10kg. Usually it takes 3-4 weeks. If the athlete does not add anything after a 10-12-weeks program, I change it (not the athlete - the program)."

So my bench press did not go up, but my deadlift increased by 65lbs. I think my deadlift could probably continue to progress using the intermediate medium load program with a higher max, but I’m not sure about my bench press.

Should I repeat the intermediate medium load cycle for both lifts but just with higher maxes? Or would it be weird to repeat the intermediate medium load cycle for just my deadlift and simultaneously run the intermediate large load cycle for my bench press?

I have previously run the Intermediate Large Load cycle for my bench press which resulted in a 385lb bench press and the Advanced Small Load cycle which resulted in a 400lb bench press back in 2015. I then took 2016 off from training.

Best Gym Lifts
Squat: 184kg / 405lbs (knee sleeves)
Bench Press: 170.45kg / 375lbs
Deadlift: 259kg / 570lbs

Best Competition Results
Squat: 182.5kg / 402lbs (knee sleeves)
Bench Press: 172.73kg / 380lbs
Deadlift: 265.9kg / 585lbs