November 23, 2017, 08:25:00 AM

Author Topic: Sheiko "Int. small load comp." + DL and questions.  (Read 225 times)

RL

• View Profile
Sheiko "Int. small load comp." + DL and questions.
« on: November 03, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »
Hi there.
I'm a recreational lifter.
Started doing the Sheiko #-programs (29,37,32) 1 year ago and have been running them progressively for a while. Now using the Sheiko-IOS-App.

My maxes are now: @72kg Bodyweight
- 165kg Low-bar squat
- 185kg Conventional deadlift
- 140kg Bench Press.

I focus highly on technique (trying to lift according to comp.rules regarding depth in squats, stopped bottom bench etc) and constantly try to improve my weaknesses.(I'm sure I have many of them that I don't even know about).

Over to the point of this post.
I'm currently on the "Intermediate Small Load Comp. Cycle." And I feel that I'm having a hard time not falling behind in the deadlifts.. I've never been all that great at them to begin with, but recently they seem to just get heavier and heavier. The bench and squats (which I favor) are going fine so far.

- What can I do to increase my DL's without having to sacrifice my bench or squats?
- In the program i'm on now in some workouts it says things like "chest muscles".. What am I supposed to do here? Just pick any chest-muscle excersise I want and go with it?
- Is there a "need" to add upperback, lat-excersises etc. to the routines? I have been doing so to sort of balance things out as I feel they are a bit left out (even though I know the compound-movements ofcourse include them).

Hoping to increase my maxes even more over the next 6 months and HOPEFULLY try out in a local powerlifting-event.

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sheiko "Int. small load comp." + DL and questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 04:54:53 PM »
Generally for me, feeling that Deadlifts are heavy (without losing technique) have always been a sign that i were going well.

Sheiko have stated and I find it true that: "Squat training drives deadlift poundages, but the reverse is not true.". So if deadlifts feels heavy because of volume accumulated of squat, you have to do something about the squat (sacrifice some squat).

I am doing lat muscles 1-2 times a week and facepulls/reverse flies etc. twice a weak (at least) at least because I bench so much. It may be high individual how much back training is needed but you will want to do some upper back training to avoid injury. It could be as simple as 2-3 sets of 10-20 reps after each session (as advised on the board before).
"For one to press a lot, one must press a lot, comrade."

RL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 12:49:01 PM »
Thanks for your reply RussanBear.

I already do as I said in my initial post, do pullups\pulldowns for lats and upper-back machine-exercises\facepulls each session. (as well as some shoulder-excersies etc.)
Mostly as you say to prevent injury and to balance out from all the benching.

The sheiko-programs are definetly the best routines I've tried even though they are very demanding.

I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully I'll be able to push past the "sticky-point" regarding the weight in the DL's.

RussianBear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 10:42:51 PM »
Thanks for your reply RussanBear.

I already do as I said in my initial post, do pullups\pulldowns for lats and upper-back machine-exercises\facepulls each session. (as well as some shoulder-excersies etc.)
Mostly as you say to prevent injury and to balance out from all the benching.

The sheiko-programs are definetly the best routines I've tried even though they are very demanding.

I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully I'll be able to push past the "sticky-point" regarding the weight in the DL's.

No problem. I wrote about what I did to give you a feeling for what others do. If that is what you do (regarding upper back) I don't see any need to add anything unless you feel you need it.

I think it is the best set of programs and training methodology out there but I recognize that there is also other good programs.

Regarding chest, yes, pick exercise, could be DB flies, DB presses, dips etc. I prefer to rotate so it is not the same all the time.

I do find that having a strict focus on technique and weakpoints helps quite a lot. In that sense I really recommend videoing yourself :)

Wish you the best of luck! and keep us posted with your progress! It is always interesting to see the progress of lifters and what they do :)
"For one to press a lot, one must press a lot, comrade."

RL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 01:23:21 AM »
I have video-taped myself lifting before. Mostly to be able to see the most obvious mistakes I do without realizing it (I'm sure I still have lots of little weird bad habits in my lifts).
It's been a while since I did that, so I might have to make some new ones.
Will post on the boards when i get around to doing so.

RL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 03:58:09 PM »
I do find that having a strict focus on technique and weakpoints helps quite a lot. In that sense I really recommend videoing yourself :)

I posted a squat-vid in the "Eye of Sheiko" section here.
Will possibly add a bench-form-vid in there aswell later today.